Often times it’s the dressing that makes a salad taste so great. But sometimes it just takes one unique ingredient to make it feel special.
These marinated mozzarella balls are just that ingredient. Soft, creamy bites of mozzarella mingle with smooth olive oil, tangy sun dried tomatoes, shallots, garlic, cracked pepper and lots of basil and parsley. The longer it sits, the better it gets!
Start with some good ingredients. Little balls or cubes of mozzarella are the stars here. I use oil packed sun dried tomatoes, fresh shallots & garlic. But for the herbs, I like to use semi dried basil & parsley. In this recipe, I think it has more concentrated flavor and holds up better in the olive oil. And speaking of olive oil, use your tasty favorite!
I like to mix the ingredients together first. And then I add the mozzarella and toss them around a bit to make sure I get each one coated with as much luscious dressing as I can.
Then simply toss them into your jar and enjoy!
These are best if you can let them marinate for a few hours. Even better if you let them hang out overnight. If you are able, bring them to room temperature before you are ready to serve.
These are wonderful in salads. As a matter of fact, I often use a drizzle of the oil for my salad dressing. I also like them as a tapas with some bread and wine. And they are perfect to set out with your cheese, fruit & meat boards. Great any time of the year!
- 8 ounces of mini mozzarella balls (or mozzarella cut into small cubes)
- 1 cup of extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 Tablespoons of semi dried basil (I used Gourmet Garden)
- 1 Tablespoon of semi dried parsley (I used Gourmet Garden)
- 2 Tablespoons of chopped sun dried tomatoes (packed in oil)
- 1 Tablespoon of chopped fresh shallots
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon of freshly cracked pepper
- pinch of salt
- Pour ½ cup of olive oil in a medium mixing bowl.
- Add the herbs, tomatoes, shallots, garlic, salt & pepper.
- Whisk to combine.
- Add the mozzarella balls and toss to coat.
- Place the mixture into a storage jar.
- Pour the remaining ½ cup of olive oil over the top.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Let the cheese marinate for at least 3 hours or preferably overnight.
- Bring to room temperature before ready to serve.
- Will keep refrigerated for approximately 2 weeks.