How do you feel about beets and radishes? I’m not sure if that’s an acquired taste for some. I love the earthy flavor of beets; even more so when they are made sweeter by roasting.
And while you may love the spicy crunch of radishes, let me tell you, you haven’t lived until you’ve tasted them roasted! They become so sweet and soft and creamy!
This is a simple autumn salad that really celebrates beets and radishes. The radishes, beets and red onions are roasted still sweet and soft. They are piled on top of some baby arugula and beet shoots and drizzled with a tangy orange fennel seed vinaigrette.
Roasting mutes the colors of the veggies, especially the radishes. But the trade off is great flavor!
The oranges and the fennel flavor in this orange fennel seed vinaigrette really brightens this earthy salad. And truthfully, it’s so good, I often have it with just a plate of greens and some sliced oranges!
This is a really pretty and flavorful salad to serve with your holiday meals.
But honestly, I’d eat this salad any time of the year!
- 5 ounces of baby arugula
- 1 cup of beet shoots
- 6 small red beets
- 2 bunches of Easter egg radishes
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 Tablespoon of olive oil
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 Recipe of Orange Fennel Seed Vinaigrette (which is found on this blog under Dressings)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Wash and trim the beets.
- Using some tin foil, make 2 packets of 3 beets, wrapping them loosely.
- Place on a baking sheet and roast for 45-60 minutes until the beets are soft.
- Wash and trim the radishes.
- Cut some of the longer radishes in half and keep some of the smaller radishes whole.
- Place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Drizzled the radishes with olive oil, toss, and sprinkle with a bit of salt and pepper.
- Roast for 15-20 minutes, tossing a few times during the roasting.
- When the beets are cool enough to handle, slice them into quarters.
- Drizzle the beets with 1- 2 Tablespoons of dressing & toss gently.
- Place the radishes in a small bowl.
- Drizzle with 1-2 Tablespoons of dressing and toss gently.
- Place the greens in a serving dish.
- Add the beets and radishes and toss gently.
- Serve with extra dressing on the side.
Support your local farmers!