You trust me, don’t you? I hope so because it’s going to take a little bit to get past the color of this vinaigrette.
The thing is, there are so many things that can go into a salad dressing besides vinegar, oil, mustard and herbs. And I’m fascinated by the concept that you can puree anything as the base for your salad dressing to give it a totally unique flavor.
This black olive vinaigrette, for example, has a unique and exceptional flavor. Especially good with bitter greens. But if you are a fan of olives, as I am, you will love it! Tangy and tart with red wine vinegar, this dressing is made creamy with the addition of mustard. But it’s the pureed olives that lend a rich and savory element.
You can certainly whip this up with your favorite type of olive. Here, I used big, briny, black Cerignola olives.
To add a little texture to this creamy olive dressing, I added diced shallots and olives to the puree mixture. And of course, using other varieties of olives will give your vinaigrette a different flavor and color.
And you know, not only is this olive vinaigrette good with hearty greens; but it’s also a perfect dressing for chicken & fish.
Better to be the one who smiled than the one who didn’t smile back.
- 1 cup of black olives, chopped (plus about 5-6 olives finely diced)
- ½ cup of red wine vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons of Dijon mustard
- 1½ cup of olive oil
- 1 large shallot, diced
- 2 teaspoons of chopped parsley
- salt & pepper to taste
- Puree the olives, vinegar and mustard in a blender.
- With the blender running, slowly drizzle in the olive oil until thick and blended.
- Transfer to a bowl and stir in the shallots, diced olives and parsley.
- Season with salt & pepper to taste.