Zucchini is one of my favorite summer vegetables. Yours, too?
Great! Because I have an easy one dish zucchini pie that’s fantastic as a side or your veggie main meal. Thinly sliced zucchini are covered in buttery white cheddar cheese and baked on top of a sharp cheddar and chive rice crust!
The zucchini is so good in this recipe. But yellow summer squash or a combination of the two would be awesome, too!
While the cheese is a prominent flavor on top and in the rice, it doesn’t overwhelm this savory pie. And the flavor of the zucchini really shines through!
This is really tasty when warm, though it cuts a little messy. And just as good at room temperature, where it holds it’s shape a little better. Perfect for a side or a veggie main dish. And a pretty plate to have for a summer lunch, brunch, picnic or potluck!
Don’t let yesterday take up too much of today.
- 2 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 cup of uncooked instant rice
- 1 cup of vegetable broth
- 1 cup of grated sharp orange cheddar
- ¼ cup of grated sharp white cheddar
- ⅓ cup of mayonnaise
- 3 Tablespoons of butter, melted
- 1 lightly beaten egg
- 4 teaspoons of chopped fresh chives, divided
- ½ teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- baking spray
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spray a 9 inch pie plate with baking spray.
- Combine the rice, vegetable broth, 1 cup of orange cheddar, the beaten egg, ⅓ cup of mayonnaise, red pepper flakes and 3 teaspoons of chives.
- Pour into the pie plate.
- Arrange the zucchini slices in an overlapping pattern on top of the rice mixture.
- Combine the melted butter, white cheddar, 1 teaspoon of chives and salt.
- Pour over the top of the zucchini.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, till bubbly and golden.
- Let the pie rest for about 20 minutes before cutting and serving.
If you ate today, thank a farmer!