Would you say your consumption of salads decreases in the winter?
Honestly, as much as I love soups and stews and chili in the winter, I try to eat salad every week. There are so many things that I love about this salad. Sweet and crisp baby romaine lettuce pairs well with the bitter notes of the radicchio. The fennel and oranges keep it light and fresh. But it’s the delicious and unique Black Olive Vinaigrette which gives it a savory richness.
The oranges make this a perfect winter salad. Great as a side to soups and sandwiches. But substantial enough to be your main meal.
I’m a fan of every element of this salad on it’s own. Romaine lettuce is among my favorites and here I’ve used some sweet, tender baby romaine. Radicchio lends a bit of color and flavor contrast with it’s slightly bitter bite. But the cara cara oranges are juicy and tangy. And the thinly shaved fennel adds a bit of crunch and freshness. Garnish with some big, black olives for a salty kick.
But what really ties all of these sweet, bitter, crunchy, fresh flavors altogether is the Black Olive Vinaigrette. It really lends a special, savory and rich element to this colorful winter salad.
So when you are looking for bright, fresh, colorful textures and flavors in the midst of winter, give this salad a try!
- 4 heads of baby romaine lettuce, broken into bite size pieces
- 1 small head of radicchio, thinly chopped
- 1 small fennel bulb, thinly shaved
- 2 cara cara oranges, sliced
- black olives for garnish if desired
- 1 recipe of Black Olive Vinaigrette
- Place the romaine and radicchio in a large bowl.
- Cover with enough vinaigrette to lightly coat the lettuce.
- Add the fennel and orange slices.
- Garnish with olives.
- Serve with more dressing on the side.