The Bread Bakers are a group of bread baking enthusiasts who love baking and EATING bread! Each month, one member will host. They choose a theme and the group will bake it! This month, Pavani, of Cook’s Hideout chose healthy breads.
This quick bread, made with whole wheat flour is loaded with naturally sweet carrots and apples and crunchy heart healthy walnuts.
Love the crunchy walnuts. And the carrots and the apples keep this quick bread sweet and moist.
This bread comes together quickly. Perfect for snacking, breakfast or brunch.
Diversity: The art of thinking independently together.
- 1¾ cups of whole wheat flour
- ¾ of a cup of firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon of baking powder
- ⅛ of a teaspoon of fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- ½ of a teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- ¼ of a teaspoon of ground ginger
- ⅛ of a teaspoon of cloves
- • ⅔ of a cup of apple cider
- • 5 Tablespoons of unsalted butter, melted
- • 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- • 1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and grated
- • 1 cup of grated carrots (roughly 2-3 large carrots)
- • ½ of a cup of coarsely chopped walnuts
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and spray the inside of a 9 x 5 x 4 inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and all of the spices together in a large mixing bowl.
- Now in a separate mixing bowl, combine the apple cider, melted butter and eggs.
- Gently fold this into the flour mixture.
- Using your hands, squeeze as much moisture from the grated apples and carrots as you can and add them to the mix.
- Drop in the walnuts and stir until they are incorporated.
- Pour the mixture into your loaf pan and even the top with an offset spatula.
- Top it decoratively with some whole walnuts if desired.
- Bake for about 60-75 minutes, making sure that a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let the bread cool in the pan for a few minutes before turning it out onto a wire rack to cool some more.
- This bread keeps in an airtight container for about 1 week.
Check out the Healthy Breads that our fellow #BreadBakers have baked this month:
- Amaranth Flatbread from Mayuri’s Jikoni
- Beet Rye Bread from What Smells So Good?
- Blueberry Almond Bread from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Brain Booster Pancakes from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Chocolate Banana Flax Almond Meal Muffins from Spill the Spices
- Grain-free Nutty Carrot Flatbread from A Baker’s House
- Healthier Applesauce Spice Bread from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Healthy Whole Grain Bread from The Bread She Bakes
- Honey Almond Brioche from Kidsandchic
- Honey Oatmeal Bread from Food Lust People Love
- Honey Whole Grain Bread from Hostess At Heart
- Multigrain Pesto Swirl Bread from Herbivore Cucina
- Oatmeal Knackebrod (Oatmeal Crispbread) from Baking Sense
- Quick Whole Wheat Bread from Ambrosia
- Rugbrød from A Shaggy Dough Story
- Spiced Besani Paratha from Sneha’s Recipe
- Sprouted Wheat Bread from Palatable Pastime
- Sweet Potato Loaf from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Sweet Potato Millet Bread from The Schizo Chef
- Ten Grain No Knead Bread from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Whole Wheat Brioche Buns from Gayathri’s Cook Spot
- Whole Wheat Pineapple Quick Bread from Basic N Delicious
- Whole Wheat Carrot Apple Walnut Quickbread from A Salad For All Seasons
- Whole Wheat White Bean Bread from Cooks Hideout
#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely bread by following our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated after each event on the #BreadBakers home page.
We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send Stacy an email with your blog URL to firstname.lastname@example.org.