Can you imagine a salad could be comfort food?
Top it with some magnificent smoked salmon and a perfect 6 minute egg and I will take this over macaroni and cheese any day! The watercress is tossed with a lovely light lemon Dijon vinaigrette. To me, this is just sublime.
Here are the stars of this salad. Be sure you are using quality ingredients. I just love Scottish smoked salmon. And here I’ve used St. James Scotch Reserve.
The addition of dill, chopped sweet onions and capers really gave these greens a tangy bite. Serve it with some great Russian rye bread and you really have a special meal.
I couldn’t resist topping my mustard schmeered rye bread with my salad.
Maybe it’s those slightly runny eggs, but this is a great brunch salad. Though I’d enjoy it any time of day (or night) and I hope you will as well.
“Moderation is the only rule of a healthful life. This means moderation in all things wholesome.” Herbert M. Shelton
- 4 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
- 3 Tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons of chopped fresh dill
- 8 ounces of watercress
- 6 ounces of smoked salmon torn into pieces
- ½ small, sweet onion, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons of capers, drained
- Bring 1 quart of water to a boil. Use a slotted spoon to gently lower the eggs into the water. (If your eggs were not at room temperature, place them in a bowl of hot water while you prep. If you place cold eggs into the boiling water your shells will likely crack!)
- Reduce the heat to medium low, cover and cook for 6 minutes. Remove the eggs to a bowl of ice water.
- Whisk the Dijon and lemon juice together. Slowly add the olive oil while you continue to whisk. Whisk in the dill.
- In a large bowl, mix the watercress, torn pieces of salmon and chopped onion. Toss with the vinaigrette and divide it among your plates.
- Peel and halve the eggs. Arrange them on top of the salads. Sprinkle with sea salt and serve.
- NOTE: If you plan on having this as your main meal, I would say it serves 2.
Support your local farmers!