The 3 things I love to eat all year round are soup, ice cream & salads. I think it’s easy to do when you work with seasonal ingredients.
While there are lots of seasonal ingredients that are fantastic in winter salads, sometimes changing the temperature of a salad will make it more comforting. I love using roasted vegetables or warm rice, noodles or potatoes. But a warm salad dressing is equally as good!
This warm lemon ginger vinaigrette is fantastic. Warm olive oil is flavored with scallions, fresh lemon juice, honey, white wine vinegar, ginger and thyme. It’s so bright and luscious; warm and comforting. It’s almost like having a fresh, tangy gravy for your greens!
Use your very favorite, most flavorful olive oil. The flavor is definitely prominent. So make it the best. Warm the oil and add some slice scallions.
Now add a little more flavor. Whisk together some freshly squeezed lemon juice and fresh or partially dried ginger. They are the highlights of this dressing. Add a drizzle of honey and a splash of white wine vinegar. Toss in some lemon zest & thyme and a plop of Dijon.
Now combine everything until warm.
The warm oil loaded with lemon and ginger could almost be considered medicinal, except that it tastes too good! But you’ll feel healthy eating it anyway!
This lovely citrus vinaigrette is such a burst of sunshine in the middle of winter.
As with many vinaigrettes, this is a perfect marinade. But I’ve also used it as a dressing with seafood and a sauce for pasta. It’s also tasty over warm, roasted potatoes.
You have to learn to get up from the table when love is no longer being served.
- ¼ cup of good quality olive oil
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced (whites & greens)
- 1 teaspoon of chopped fresh ginger or ½ teaspoon of lightly dried ginger (Gourmet Garden)
- 2 Tablespoons of white wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon of honey
- 1 teaspoon of fresh lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon of dried thyme or 1 teaspoon of fresh thyme
- salt & pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a small non stick pan over medium heat.
- Add the scallions and cook until they are soft, about 2-3 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the vinegar, lemon juice, ginger, honey, lemon zest, mustard & thyme.
- Remove the oil from the heat.
- Add the lemon mixture and whisk until combined.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Let cool slightly before serving.
- NOTE: This recipe will dress a 4-6 cup salad.