Does the winter season feel like it’s been dragging on too long for you? Me too! But this bright, fresh winter salad will have you feeling like spring is just around the corner!
Volcano rice is a blend of red and brown rice. It mingles with black beans, sweet chunks of fresh mango, fresh salsa, green onions and cilantro. And the luscious concoction which brings this salad together is a sweet and spicy mango chutney dressing. Again, a super easy, super fast dressing that’s made by blending mango chutney, olive oil, lime juice, ginger and a pinch of red pepper flakes.
The mangoes keep this salad really light and fresh. But the rice and black beans make it feel substantial and filling.
Mangoes were on sale at my local market for 99 cents. How could I resist? These were particularly luscious, sweet & juicy!
Here’s how the dressing came about. I had a jar of mango chutney in the fridge that I bought when I made some Spicy Mulligatawny with Sweet Potatoes. So I wanted to use it up. I simply placed some in a food processor with some olive oil. Then added some lime & ginger, salt & pepper, until it became the sweet tart and tangy dressing that is so perfect for this salad. Or any other, really!
This is a great vegetarian salad or side dish. But I’ve made this before adding some grilled chicken or shrimp.
On second thought, take your time spring! This winter mango salad is too good to rush through!
- For The Dressing:
- ¼ cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons of fresh lime juice
- 2 Tablespoons of mango chutney (I used Major Grey's)
- ¼ teaspoon of minced ginger (I used Gourmet Garden ginger paste)
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- pinch of red pepper flakes (I used Gourmet Garden partially dried red pepper)
- For The Salad:
- 1½ cups of cooked Volcano Rice ( Lotus Foods)
- 1 (15 oz) can of black beans rinsed and drained
- 2 cups of fresh, chopped mango
- ¼ cup of fresh salsa (I used my local market's fresh brand, NOT jarred salsa)
- ½ cup of thinly sliced green onions (both white & green parts)
- 3 Tablespoons of fresh chopped cilantro
- To make the dressing, simply combine all ingredients in a small food processor or blender.
- Adjust seasonings to suit your taste.
- To make the salad, combine the rice, beans, salsa, onions & cilantro in a large bowl.
- Add mangoes and toss gently to combine.
- Add the dressing and toss.
- Garnish with extra spring onions & cilantro if desired.