Can I interest you in some really unique comfort food?
If you are a sweet potato lover, as I am, you will truly love this vegetarian shepherd’s pie. Black beans, carrots, peppers, onions, celery and garlic combine with the warm flavors of chili and cumin and sun dried tomato paste. This tasty concoction is covered with a cheesy sweet potato crust.
Perfect as a side dish, a main dish for lunch, or really good with a fried egg as a breakfast hash.
Mash everything by hand. Adding some finely grated sharp cheddar cheese to the buttery, creamy potatoes cuts their natural sweetness.
I like a large dice to the vegetables so they hold up right alongside of the black beans. Red & yellow bell peppers, carrots, celery and onions are flavored with sun dried tomato paste, chili, cumin and honey. Sweet & savory!
This would make a great side dish for the holidays. But it’s hearty enough to serve as a vegetarian meal on it’s own.
So if you love sweet potatoes, and you love black beans, consider making this shepherd’s pie soon. Perfect for a pot luck or when you need to feed a crowd!
“If you have to choose between being kind and being right, choose being kind and you will always be right.”
- 4 large sweet potatoes ( roughly 4 cups)
- 1½ cups of finely grated sharp cheddar cheese
- ¾ cup of whole milk at room temperature
- 4 Tablespoons of unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- freshly cracked pepper
- 1 Tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 1 large red onion chopped (about 1½ cups)
- 1 red bell pepper, large diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, large diced
- 1 celery stock, finely diced
- 2 small carrots cut into a large dice
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- ¼ cup of sun dried tomato paste
- 2 (15 oz) cans of black beans rinsed & drained
- 2 Tablespoons of sherry vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon of honey
- ½ teaspoon of cumin
- ¼ teaspoon of chili powder
- chopped fresh cilantro for garnish & serving
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Poke the sweet potatoes with a fork and place them in the microwave on high for 15-20 minutes, until they are tender.
- When cool enough to handle, scoop the flesh into a large bowl.
- Mash with a potato masher.
- While still hot, add the cheese, butter, milk, 1 teaspoon of salt and several grinds of fresh pepper.
- Stir to mix and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy saute pan.
- When the oil is hot, add the onions, peppers, celery, carrots, and garlic.
- Saute for about 5 minutes, or until the vegetables have softened slightly.
- Add the black beans, tomato paste, vinegar, honey, ½ teaspoon of salt, cumin, chili powder and a few more grinds of fresh pepper.
- Cook for another 5 minutes, stirring to combine.
- Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Grease a 4 quart casserole or baking dish with cooking spray.
- Add the bean mix and spread evenly.
- Top with the sweet potato mixture and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle the top with a pinch of cumin and a pinch of chili powder.
- Bake for about 30-40 minutes; until the top and sides begin to turn golden brown.
- Serve with cilantro and sour cream if desired.