I love everything about basil. The taste, the aroma, the color! And I use it all summer long. I especially love it in this super versatile vinaigrette. Just 4 ingredients plus salt & pepper and you have the sweetest, freshest dressing that will carry you through all the dog days of summer!
As with all vinaigrettes, not only is this delicious on salads, but it’s an easy and amazing way to dress your pasta. And of course, it makes a great marinade!
Whether you grow your own basil, buy it in bulk, or purchase it from your local markets, you will need about 2 cups for this recipe. I will tell you this is so ridiculously easy, I feel silly giving you a recipe. But it’s basically fresh basil, white balsamic vinegar, fresh garlic and olive oil. Everything went into my mini food processor. Give it a whirl, then a taste and season it with salt & pepper to your liking.
I especially love using this on caprese salads. You don’t really need to layer basil leaves through your tomatoes and mozzarella. This luscious dressing provides all the sweet basil flavor you will need!
The basil really is the fresh and prominent flavor here. I also love this vinaigrette for dressing pasta. Here I’ve used it warm on my spaghetti. But it’s equally good cold on a pasta salad.
Good thing this lovely basil dressing is so easy to make. It’s so useful in so many ways that it’s hard to keep a batch around for very long. But this dressing keeps refrigerated for up to a week or two. Just bring it to room temperature before using.
- 2 cups of basil leaves (packed)
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- ¼ cup of white balsamic vinegar
- ⅔ cup of extra virgin olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- Place all ingredients in your food processor.
- Pulse to combine to your desired texture.
- (You can puree it until it is thick, but I like to keep it loose with bits of basil remaining.)
- NOTE: You may use any vinegar you like, really. Just not that changing up your vinegar will also slightly change the shade of green of this vinaigrette. But it will still taste fabulous!
Support your local farmers & farm markets!