Can you believe this simple, 3 ingredient salad has 2 dressings?
Sweet, crisp sugar snap peas and fresh, tart blackberries are bathed in tangy lime-cilantro vinaigrette. They are tossed onto a bed of luscious whipped avocado, flavored with lime, Aleppo pepper & lime zest. Eat it as is, or serve it with your favorite greens.
I love sugar snap peas and often eat them as a snack. For this salad, I blanched them for a minute or two to cook them slightly while leaving them crisp. The beautiful blackberries are the perfect sweet tart complement.
The two dressings are quick and easy. To add some flavor to the beans and berries, I just whisked up some fresh lime juice, olive oil, lime zest, cilantro and Aleppo pepper. To bring in some creaminess, I used my electric mixer to whip some avocados with lime juice. I added a little garnish of fresh lime zest and more Aleppo pepper. The question, “Would you like some whipped avocado with your salad?” The answer, “No thank you.” SAID NO ONE EVER!
This salad is delicious as is; but I also like to serve it with some mixed baby lettuces. Be sure to have some extra lime wedges, too.
I know you may be questioning how these ingredients work together. Well the lime is a great partner for blackberries AND avocado. So the flavors really work together well. Just drag your snap pea through some blackberry juice and into the avocado. You will be hooked! Even the blackberry dipped into the tangy, spicy avocado is so delicious! A great combination of flavors and textures!
I hope you can appreciate the concept here. There are endless possibilities of combinations of fruit and vegetables. You can even change the whip to a seasoned cottage cheese, ricotta or hummus if you’d like.
- 2 ripe avocadoes
- 1½ pounds of sugar snap peas
- 12 ounces of fresh blackberries
- 5 ounces of salad greens (I used mixed baby lettuces)
- 5 Tablespoons of lime juice, divided
- 4 Tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon of lime zest, plus extra for garnishing
- 1 teaspoon of Aleppo pepper, plus extra for garnishing
- 1 Tablespoon of chopped, fresh cilantro, plus extra for garnishing
- salt to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add the snap peas, and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove the beans with a slotted spoon and place them in a bowl of ice water.
- When they are cool enough to handle, trim the ends and strings as needed and cut the beans in half.
- Place the beans and blackberries in a mixing bowl.
- Whisk together 3 Tablespoons of lime juice, 4 Tablespoons of olive oil, 1 Tablespoon of lime zest, 1 teaspoon of Aleppo pepper and 1 Tablespoon of cilantro.
- Taste & salt as necessary, adjust pepper and lime to your liking.
- Drizzle about 3-4 Tablespoons of dressing over the beans and blackberries and toss.
- Scoop out the avocado flesh into a mixing bowl. Add 2 Tablespoons of lime juice and mix with your electric mixer until smooth and creamy.
- Place the whipped avocado onto your serving plate.
- Garnish the edges with more lime zest and Aleppo pepper.
- Pile the beans and blackberries on top.
- Garnish with more fresh cilantro if desired.
- Serve immediately, with the greens (if using), and extra dressing on the side.
If you ate today, thank a farmer!