How’s your summer going?
Those lazy, hot, dog days of summer are finally here in Maryland. But I’ve got a recipe to cool you off!
I’ve been enjoying this fruity granita for years. It’s a recipe that I’ve slightly adapted from Cooking Light. A sweet peach puree combines with fresh lime juice, mint and a generous splash of rum! Chilled to frosty perfection!
This stuff is so luscious! But make no mistake . . . . . this is a frozen cocktail. And that rum can really sneak up on you!
It begins with some beautiful peaches and zesty limes!
The peaches are simmered with sugar and mint.
The peaches are pureed with a little bit of fresh lime juice.
And a little . . . . . or a lot of rum!
Mix it. Freeze it. Scrape it. Serve it!
This is a perfect pick me up at the end of a hot day. And even as this melts, it’s just as refreshing. So it’s best served with a spoon and a straw!
Five ingredients and 20 minutes will have this made and in the freezer; ready to enjoy tomorrow and all week long!
Tension is who you think you should be. Relaxation is who you are. Chinese Proverb
- 4 cups of water
- 4 peaches, peeled and sliced
- 1⅓ cups of sugar
- 1⅓ cups of freshly squeezed lime juice
- ¾ cup of rum
- 8 mint leaves
- sliced peaches & mint sprigs for garnish
- Place the peaches, water, sugar and mint in a medium saucepan and bring it to a boil; stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- Take the mixture off the heat and let it cool.
- Place half of the mixture in a blender and process until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a 13" x 9" glass baking dish.
- Process the remainder of the peaches, lime juice and rum in the blender until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into the glass dish and stir till all is combined.
- Let the mixture freeze overnight.
- When ready to serve, remove the pan from the freezer and scrape the mixture with a fork.
- Spoon into chilled serving glasses and garnish with peaches and mint.
- Serve immediately.
Please support your local farmers whenever you can!