Are you as crazy about spicy peanut sauce as I am? I love it over any kind of noodle, really.
Well I’ve been craving some shrimp. And since asparagus is in season, I decided to throw some spears into the mix, too. This peanutty noodle dish begins with a spicy peanut butter sauce infused with garlic, ginger, sesame oil, and red pepper flakes. Rice wine vinegar and brown sugar keep it sweet and tangy. The shrimp, which has been marinating in some sesame oil, red pepper flakes and cilantro, is quickly stir fried. And the asparagus is stir fried till charred and crisp-tender. All of this yumminess is served over soba noodles and splashed with fresh lime.
Grab your chopsticks!
I bought my shrimp already prepped, so this meal came together in under 30 minutes.
The peanut sauce is made in a blender. Boil the soba noodles for 3 minutes. Pour half of the sauce over the noodles while you stir fry the shrimp and asparagus. (Actually, I could have eaten the peanutty noodles on their own!)
So many great flavors in every bite. Hot, sweet, spicy, tangy. And the textures . . . so creamy and crunchy!
You could switch out the veggies and protein if you’d like. Just get a good char on the veg, whether you are using snap peas or green beans.
This is a fantastic dish whether you serve it hot or cold!
- ¾ cup of peanut butter
- 6 Tablespoons of soy sauce
- ½ cup of warm water
- 2 Tablespoons of chopped, fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 Tablespoons of rice wine vinegar
- 4 Tablespoons of sesame oil, divided
- the juice of one lime
- 1 Tablespoon of brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons of semi dried cilantro
- 1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- 10 ounces of soba noodles
- 1 bunch of fresh asparagus, chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1 pound of shrimp, cleaned and deveined
- Place the cleaned shrimp in a bowl, sprinkle with 1 Tablespoon of sesame oil, ½ teaspoon of red pepper flakes, and cilantro and toss to combine.
- Place the peanut butter, soy sauce, water, ginger, garlic, rice wine vinegar, 3 Tablespoons of sesame oil, lime juice, brown sugar, cilantro and red pepper flakes in a blender and process until it is thoroughly combined.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil.
- Add the soba noodles and boil for 3 minutes.
- Drain and place in a large bowl.
- Pour half of the peanut sauce over the noodles and toss to combine.
- Heat your wok until very hot, add the shrimp and stir fry for 2-3 minutes, until shrimp turns a bit pink and is no longer translucent. Remove and set aside.
- Add 1 Tablespoon of peanut oil to the wok.
- Add the asparagus and stir fry until tender and charred in spots, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and asparagus to the noodles along with the remaining peanut sauce and toss to combine.
- Sprinkle with more cilantro and red pepper flakes if desired.
- Serve with lime wedges.