Anyone who likes chicken, has got to love a good wing recipe.
These deliciously sticky chicken wings are cooked in two ways. First they are baked till golden brown in the oven. Then the hot wings are coated all over with garlic and ginger. And saving the best for last, they are fried in a wok and then covered in a thick and spicy honey soy sauce. They are perfect as part of a tapas meal or as a light bite served with some rice or a salad.
I love chicken wings. And I love hot and spicy wings. But sometimes I want something other than the traditional buffalo wing. These chicken wings are super easy. Though it starts in the oven, the magic really happens when all the ingredients come together in your wok.
Once the wings are coated in this spicy and sweet honey – chili – soy sauce, let them sit over the heat a little longer while you toss them occasionally. The sauce thickens and the wings get more charred and the flavor just intensifies.
These are best when you eat them right away. The skin is still crunchy even though they are coated in a thick, sweet and spicy sauce.
If you like buffalo wings for their heat, and barbecued wings for their sweetness, then these sweet, spicy, sticky, crunchy Asian inspired wings are for you!
The voice in your head that says ‘you can’t do this’ is a liar.
- 24 chicken wingettes
- 4 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 1 Tablespoon of peanut oil
- 2 teaspoons of fish sauce
- 2 Tablespoons of soy sauce
- 6 Tablespoons of honey
- 3 Tablespoons of chili garlic sauce
- 1 spring onion thinly sliced for garnish if desired
- salt & pepper
- Heat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
- Place the wings on the baking sheet and season with salt & pepper.
- Bake for about 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the fish sauce, soy sauce, honey and chili sauce and set aside.
- Place the minced garlic and ground ginger in a large bowl.
- When they come out of the oven, place the hot wings in the bowl and toss to coat with the garlic and ginger.
- Heat your wok on high heat.
- Add the oil.
- Fry the chicken in batches until the skin is crispy and brown, moving the browned chicken wings to a plate..
- Add more oil if necessary and repeat until all the chicken has been fried.
- Turn the heat to low and add the honey soy mixture.
- Cook until the sauce bubbles and thickens slightly.
- Add all of the wings and toss to coat.
- Continue to heat until the sauce reduces and the wings have been thickly coated and are browning more.
- Garnish with spring onions if desired.