Do you have a favorite salad you rely on when throwing together a quick weeknight meal?
This is mine. It’s creamy and crunchy and goes with just about everything! This is made with romaine, arugula, spinach & cucumbers. Tossed with toasted pumpkin seeds and a tangy, garlicky yogurt dressing. But it’s versatile. Keep the romaine and cukes and add any other greens you’d like. Smoked almonds give it a different twist as well!
This is great in any season!
Some Greek yogurt. Some lemon. Some garlic. It’s all good!
If you are making this for a crowd, drench the salad with all the dressing. The greens are hearty and can take it. If you are making this for yourself, and plan on having leftovers, I would dress your salad individually.
The way the crunchy greens are fully dressed in yogurt, gives this salad an almost coleslaw like quality. I hope it’s soon to be one of your favorites, too!
“Salad is never more appetizing than when served in a large wooden bowl.” Dorothy Draper (‘Entertaining is Fun’ 1941)
- For the Dressing:
- 3 Tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons of champagne vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon of granulated sugar
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup of whole milk Greek yogurt
- ½ cup of olive oil
- Kosher salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- For the Salad:
- 2 medium heads of romaine
- 1 ounce of baby arugula
- 1 ounce of baby spinach
- 1 English cucumber
- ½ cup of toasted pumpkin seeds
- 1 Tablespoon of chopped fresh chives
- 1 Tablespoon of chopped fresh parsley
- 1 Tablespoon of chopped fresh mint
- Kosher salt & freshly cracked pepper to taste
- In a small bowl combine the lemon juice, vinegar, sugar and garlic.
- Let this mixture sit for about 10-15 minutes to mellow out the garlic.
- Add the yogurt and whisk together.
- Slowly add the oil, whisking constantly to combine.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Wash your greens and dry thoroughly to be sure the dressing will cling well to the leaves.
- Slice the romaine crosswise into ¼ inch thick shavings.
- Bunch the arugula together and cut into thin strips.
- Bunch the spinach together and cut into thin strips.
- Peel, halve and seed the cucumber.
- Grate it on the largest holes of a box grater.
- Using your hands, squeeze out as much excess water from the cucumbers.
- Toss the greens and cucumbers in a large bowl.
- Add the chives, parsley and mint.
- Toss the pumpkin seeds into the greens, reserving a handful for garnish.
- Toss the salad with all of the dressing to coat it generously.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and garnish with extra pumpkin seeds.
You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy local, and that’s kind of the same thing! Support your local farmers!