I LOVE potatoes in any form. But I REALLY LOVE them roasted. The potatoes get all crisp, crunchy and golden on the outside while remaining soft and creamy on the inside. And they are such a great blank canvas to flavor in so many ways.
This is a perfect warm autumn and winter potato salad. Though you can certainly enjoy it all year round. Baby red bliss potatoes are roasted with olive oil, fresh rosemary, salt & pepper and tossed with fresh sweet shallots and a luscious Creamy Maple Mustard Dressing.
It all starts with some baby red potatoes. Mixed baby potatoes or fingerlings would be great. And you can certainly use regular potatoes cut into smaller bites. I like rosemary for this potato salad recipe. It’s such a wonderful fall and winter herb. And it goes great with the maple mustard dressing. But ANY herb would work just as well. What’s your favorite?
The potatoes will lose some of their vibrant red color while roasting. But the trade off is great flavor and texture. And your kitchen is going to smell heavenly as they roast!
The dressing for this potato salad is a luscious Creamy Maple Mustard Dressing. It pairs really well with the flavors of the rosemary and shallots. But you can swap in any dressing you prefer. Maybe your favorite honey mustard dressing, ranch or balsamic vinaigrette?
This delicious maple mustard dressing is so perfect for these roasted potatoes. Be sure to serve some extra on the side!
I love the pop of mustard seeds in the dressing. And you can certainly roast the onions with the potatoes. But I like the bit of vibrant color and the fresh crunch it adds to this salad.
This pretty (and pretty delicious!) seasonal salad is just as comfortable at your tailgate picnics as it is on your holiday dining tables. Here’s what you can do to change it up and MAKE IT YOUR OWN:
- I used red bliss potatoes. But you can use Yukon Gold, Fingerlings, purple or even sweet potatoes if you’d like.
- Change the herbs. Rosemary not your favorite? Why not thyme, dill, chives or tarragon. Even sage would be nice.
- Embellish this potato salad by adding carrots and parsnips.
- Need to add more green? How about including peas or asparagus!
- Top this potato salad with chunks of bacon or crumbled cooked pancetta.
- Switch up the dressing. How about ranch dressing or peppercorn or Parmesan Vinaigrette.
- 3 lbs. baby red bliss potatoes, halved and/or quartered
- 2 Tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons of finely chopped fresh rosemary
- ¼ cup of diced shallots
- ½ teaspoon of kosher salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
- ½ cup of Creamy Maple Mustard Dressing (recipe on this blog)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Toss the potatoes on the sheet pan, drizzle with the olive oil, sprinkle with the rosemary, salt & pepper, and toss to combine.
- Roast for 45-50 minutes until the potatoes are tender and golden, flipping once about halfway through.
- Let the potatoes cool slightly.
- Sprinkle the potatoes with the chopped shallots.
- Drizzle with ½ cup of Creamy Maple Mustard Dressing and toss to combine.
- Best served immediately or at room temperature.
- Note: While this tastes pretty good cold, too. I like to reheat any leftovers by reheating in a non stick frying pan.
All of my salads and dressings are just a starting place for your imagination. So feel free to add or swap ingredients and do what works for you!