Are you a fan of hot and spicy food?
No pun intended, but I guess I’m warming up to it. I don’t like something so spicy that you can’t actually taste the food that the spice is spicing up. Know what I mean? But let’s face it, potatoes can always use a little help.
These new potatoes are simply roasted with a little olive oil, salt and pepper. And in the last minutes of roasting, they are tossed with a couple of tablespoons of Harissa; a paste made of a variety of hot chile peppers, spices and herbs. It is the perfect condiment to add heat, spice and color to your plain, ordinary potato.
The one food I cannot live without? Potatoes! How about you?
Honestly, I’m happy to eat them in any form. But these spicy harissa potatoes are gaining as one of my favorite ways to enjoy roasted potatoes.
Start with some little Yukon gold new potatoes. Gosh, they look so pale!
Add some harissa. I used Mina spicy harissa. Wowza! So hot! So good!
And look how beautiful your pretty, pale potatoes become!
Roast potatoes are the ultimate comfort food. These roasted potatoes with harissa are delicious. Crispy and crunchy on the outside. Soft and creamy on the inside. And hot and spicy all over!
If you are a wimp like me, and are just getting used to cooking and eating spicy food, serve these with some sour cream or herbed yogurt. I’ve even enjoyed them with some crumbled feta or herbed ricotta. Not only does it add another dimension to the flavors, it will add a bit of coolness to the heat!
“Live life as if everything is rigged in your favor.” Rumi 1207-1273 Poet and Theologian.
- 3 lbs of small, Yukon gold new potatoes, cut into chunks
- ¼ cup of olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons of Harissa paste
- salt & pepper to season potatoes
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place the potato chunks on a baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with salt & pepper.
- Drizzle with the olive oil and toss gently.
- Roast for 30 minutes.
- Toss the potatoes and return to the oven for another 15 minutes.
- Drizzle the roasted potatoes with the harissa paste and toss gently.
- Return to the oven for another 10-15 minutes, until golden and browned.
- Serve immediately.
Support your local farmers!