Would you use “juicy” to describe a salad? Well you would have to for this luscious and juicy winter salad!
This simple salad is so refreshing and flavorful. Fennel is roasted until it is caramelized like candy. Add some sweet and juicy Cara Cara orange slices. Toss it with some hearty baby spinach & arugula. Top it with some tart and crunchy pickled red onion. Then drizzle it with a sweet and tangy orange tarragon vinaigrette. You get an amazing blend of flavors in every bite!
Between the oranges and spinach alone, this is one of those salads that makes you feel instantly healthy when you’ve finished it.
I love the soft, mellow flavor of the roasted fennel. The salad is not as sweet as you would think. The pickled onions definitely give it some zest! And the orange tarragon vinaigrette definitely compliments the flavors of all the ingredients in this special salad. (You can do a quick pickle of the onions or feel free to make a big batch of Pretty Pickled Onions.)
Definitely make this salad when your oranges are in their sweetest season. It is a perfect salad for breakfast or brunch. Add some protein to make this a more substantial dinner salad.
- 2 large, fresh fennel bulbs, trimmed and cut vertically into 12-14 wedges
- 4 cara cara oranges, peeled, and segments removed
- 10 ounces of baby spinach & arugula
- 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
- 5 Tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 Tablespoons of tarragon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of dijon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon of honey
- 1 teaspoon of orange zest
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine the fennel, thyme and 1 Tablespoon of olive oil and toss to coat.
- Place the fennel on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Sprinkle with salt & pepper.
- Roast until the fennel is tender and golden brown, turning once, about 50-60 minutes.
- Let cool.
- Whisk together the vinegar, mustard, honey, orange zest, a couple of grinds of fresh cracked pepper, and olive oil.
- Add the fennel, orange slices and greens and toss.
- Transfer to a serving platter and top with pickled onions.
Support your local businesses