Do you like plums? Me too! They are among my favorite of summer’s stone fruits. Red plums, black plums, Italian prune plums . . . . . I love them all!
This is a unique and flavorful summer salad of roasted cabbage, carrots, snow peas, plums and ginger. And if roasting wasn’t enough to bring out some great flavors, it is drizzled with a fabulous sweet-tart ume plum vinaigrette. On first taste, I thought, wow! What a comforting and delicious warm salad. But honestly, I ate some leftovers straight from the fridge, and it was an even more flavorful, refreshing salad when cold.
While the vegetables become tender, there’s still a lot of crunch here. Especially with some slivered almonds and black sesame seeds tossed into the mix.
Just look at the variety of colors and textures in this gorgeous salad. You know it’s going to be really flavorful!
The truth be told, I could enjoy a plate of roasted cabbage on it’s own. But the combination of roasted plums and veggies really add to the warm roasted cabbage. And the toasted sesame and ume plum vinegar dressing really make this salad something special.
The plums make this perfect for summer. But I’d still eat it without the plums any time of the year. It’s that good!
- For the Salad:
- 6 cups of shredded green cabbage
- 4 cups of shredded napa cabbage
- 5 carrots, thinly sliced on the bias
- 5 ounces of snow peas
- 3 red plums, sliced
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- ½ cup of slivered almonds
- 3 Tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 2 Tablespoons of fresh minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon of black sesame seeds
- For the Vinaigrette:
- 4 teaspoons of toasted sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons of ume plum vinegar
- 2 teaspoons of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of soy sauce
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place the green cabbage, carrots, almond and ginger in a 15 x 10 x 1 inch roasting pan.
- Drizzle with 2 Tablespoons of vegetable oil and toss.
- Roast for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the plums, snow peas and napa cabbage.
- Drizzle with the remaining 1 Teaspoon of vegetable oil and toss gently.
- Roast for another 10-15 minutes.
- Prepare the vinaigrette by whisking all ingredients in a small bowl.
- Transfer the salad to your serving bowl.
- Drizzle with the vinaigrette.
- Add the spring onions and sesame seeds and toss.
To those who work in acres, not hours, we thank you! Support your local farmers!