One of my favorite veggies to eat in the springtime is asparagus.
I remember as a kid, though, that we only ate canned asparagus tips and only for a holiday! Boy have times changed. There is nothing like fresh asparagus which you can get in thick stalks or thin stalks, purple and white! And of course, roasting is one of the ways of bringing out it’s best flavor.
These beautiful green stalks have been drizzled with a little olive oil and seasoned with salt & pepper. They are then roasted to perfection. Honestly, I could not stop eating them right off the pan. The only thing that makes them better is the easy crème fraiche sauce that’s studded with chives and made fresh with a burst of lemon juice and lemon zest.
This lemony chive dressing is a perfect way to dress up the asparagus. It’s creamy and lemony and really light and fresh.
While this lemony dressing is perfect for asparagus, it is really good with many other veggies as well. I’ve used it to jazz up some broccoli and green beans before.
Sure, asparagus may be the side dish, but take a few minutes to dress it up. Then it’s a really special side dish!
- 1 pound of asparagus, ends trimmed
- 1 Tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 cup of crème fraiche
- 2 Tablespoons of chopped fresh chives
- the juice and zest of 1 lemon
- coarse salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place the asparagus on a foil lined baking sheet.
- Drizzle with olive oil.
- Sprinkle with salt & pepper to taste.
- Gently toss the asparagus.
- Roast for approximately 8-10 minutes or until the asparagus is tender when pierced with a fork..
- Mix the crème fraiche, the zest and the juice of the lemon, and the chives together.
- Spoon over the asparagus and serve.
- NOTE: the lemon chive sauce yields about 1 cup, and will only keep for a few days, tightly covered in the refrigerator.