Are you ready for fall?
I am MORE than ready! It’s the season of baking! And when I’m not composing salads or eating my fruits and veggies, I LOVE TO BAKE!
But I’m not alone. The Bread Bakers are a wonderful group of bloggers, chefs, cooks, and baking fanatics who love the art of making bread. Each month a theme is chosen. We bake. We post. We share. Thank you to this month’s host, Kylee, from Kylee Cooks, who chose pumpkin! Please check out her blog. It is filled with beautiful photos of amazing recipes of the kinds of food I love to eat ( Velvety Carrot Cilantro Soup, Spinach Tomato & Feta Crustless Quiche, and To Die For Triple Chocolate Cheesecake are among her recent offerings and they all look great to me!)
I decided to make some moist, sweet pumpkin muffin tops. They are warmly spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg & cloves. And these tops have their own tops of sweet, crunchy pepitas!
Admittedly, these may be a little thicker than most muffin tops. Not having a muffin top pan, I used a whoopie pie pan. But they are the perfect size for me!
I always say that if your batter tastes good, so will your baked good. This batter was delicious. I used a small ice cream scoop to portion out my muffin tops.
Here’s a tasty little trick to keep your nuts from falling in or off of your muffins. I mixed a little concoction of seeds, castor sugar, vanilla extract and milk. It makes for a sweet little crust that holds those pepitas in place!
Top your batter and press them down gently. The top may look a little watery, but that sweet sugar bakes into the muffin top, holding your pumpkin seeds in place, and creating a lovely little crunchy top.
Sweet and moist with the perfect crunchy top; these pumpkin muffin tops are a great alternative to a full size muffin.
This recipe makes 2 dozen soft, amazing muffin tops. Though I could easily eat three at a time, I’ll show restraint, and just remind you that they freeze very well.
So as you are baking with pumpkin this season, give these a taste.
“The miracle is this – the more we share, the more we have.” Leonard Nimoy
- For the Muffins:
- 2 cups of sugar
- ½ cup of vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1½ cups of pumpkin puree
- ½ cup of water
- 3 cups of all purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- ¾ teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon of ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- For the Topping:
- ½ cup of pumpkin seeds
- 2 Tablespoons of superfine sugar
- 1 Tablespoon of milk
- ¼ teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 12 cup whoopee pie pan or muffin top pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, stir together the sugar, oil, eggs, pumpkin and water.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.
- Stir until moistened.
- Let the batter stand for 20 minutes at room temperature.
- Prepare the topping:
- Mix together the pumpkin seeds, superfine sugar, milk and vanilla.
- Fill each muffin tin to the top and use an offset spatula to smooth the tops.
- Drop a large clump of the pepita topping onto the batter and gently press into place.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until the tops are golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool 10-15 minutes.
And be sure to try these other pumpkin recipes offered by the members of The Bread Bakers!
- Almost Vegan Chocolate and Pumpkin Loaf Cake by Sizzling Tastebuds
- Brown Butter & Pumpkin Seed Scones by Food Above Gold
- Cinnamon Pumpkin Quick Bread by Food Lust People Love
- Cinnamon Spice Pumpkin Bread with Walnuts and a Trio of Frosting by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Hearty Whole Wheat Bread with Toasted Pumpkin Seeds by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Italian Pumpkin Bread by Mayuri’s Jikoni
- Lal Bhoplyachya Gharge by Sneha’s Recipe
- Nutella Swirl Pumpkin Bread by Plated Cravings
- Pumpkin Bread with Cream Cheese Swirl by A Baker’s House
- Pumpkin Cardamom Buns by Sara’s Tasty Buds
- Pumpkin Chocolate Babka by House of Nash Eats
- Pumpkin Cornbread by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Pumpkin Dinner Rolls by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Pumpkin Muffins with Cream Cheese Filling by Cook’s Hideout
- Pumpkin Pepita Muffin Tops by A Salad For All Seasons
- Pumpkin Pie Stuffed Cinnamon Rolls by Kylee Cooks
- Pumpkin Raisin Scones by Palatable Pastime
- Pumpkin Ricotta Pull Apart Buns by Food Smart Mom
- Pumpkin Sour Cherry Sourdough Bread by A Shaggy Dough Story
- Pumpkin Spice Ale Soft Pretzels by Baking Sense
- Pumpkin Spice Raisin Bread with Kinako by What Smells So Good?
- Pumpkin Spice Swirl Quickbread by Baking in Pyjamas
- Multigrain Pumpkin Bread by Herbivore Cucina
- Two Tone Pumpkin Bread by Passion Kneaded
- Whole Wheat Pumpkin Sandwich Loaf by Gayathri’s Cook Spot
- Yeasted Pumpkin Bread by Veena’s Vegnation
#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on this home page.
We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.
If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send Stacy an email with your blog URL to email@example.com..