Don’t you just love one pot dinners?
I do. Stir fries, crockpot cooking, sheet pan dinners, all make cooking and clean up so much easier.
This skillet dinner is one of those flavorful and easy one pan wonders. Strips of steak share the skillet with red bell peppers, roma tomatoes, red onions, garlic, mushrooms and black beans. All seasoned with simple ingredients; salt, pepper, paprika and steak sauce! Simply served over a bed of rice and dinner is ready in a matter of minutes.
This dish is similar to a stir fry, except the ingredients braise in the skillet a little longer.
Aside from the black beans, it’s almost like eating your favorite steak sandwich in a bowl!
What’s to love?
- Strips of tender steak.
- Sweet red bell peppers and soft caramelized onions.
- Earthy mushrooms and tender black beans.
- A sweet, tangy, rich, tomatoe-y “gravy”.
I love serving this with a little steak sauce on the side. And pork and chicken would work well here, too!
Hope and fear cannot occupy the same space at the same time. Invite one to stay.
- 2 Tablespoons of grapeseed oil
- 1½ lbs of beef eye or round, cut into thin strips
- 3 red bell peppers, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 2 small red onions, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces of baby cremini mushrooms
- 4 roma tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- one 15 ounce can of black beans, drained & rinsed
- ¼ cup of steak sauce (plus more to taste)
- 2 teaspoons of paprika
- 2 Tablespoons of mayonnaise
- chopped parsley for garnish if desired
- salt & pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large skillet.
- Generously season the steak with salt & pepper.
- Cook the steak over high heat until browned, 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the onions & garlic and a pinch of salt and pepper to the pan.
- Cook, stirring occasionally until the onions are softened & lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the peppers and mushrooms with a pinch of salt & pepper.
- Cook, stirring occasionally until the vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes more.
- Return the steak to the skillet, along with the tomatoes, black beans, paprika and steak sauce.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. (If the mixture seems dry, add ¼ cup of water.)
- Remove from the heat and stir in the mayonnaise.
- Salt & pepper to taste.
- Garnish with parsley if desired.
- Serve over rice with extra steak sauce on the side.