Summertime desserts should be easy and uncomplicated. Don’t you agree?
That’s why I love this one pan cake. Sweet peaches, tart raspberries and crunchy pistachios top this simple, moist vanilla cake. Pour the batter in the pan, toss the fruit and nuts on top, and BAKE!
A simple vanilla yogurt cake is the base and a perfect canvas for most any fruit you’d like to use. I thought to do some plums and blackberries. But raspberries were a BOGO at the market today.
You know, you might have the ingredients in your fridge right now. Yogurt, one peach and a handful of raspberries. A perfect rustic cake for your picnic; or an elegant summer fruit cake for your dinner party.
This is especially good served warm or at room temperature.
“Good actions give strength to ourselves, and inspire good actions in others.” Plato
- FOR THE CAKE:
- 1⅓ cups of all purpose flour, plus some for dusting the pan
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon of baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- 6 Tablespoons of unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons of freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 Tablespoon of pure vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup of peach yogurt
- FOR THE TOPPING:
- 4 ounces of ripe peach cut in very thin slices (about 1 whole peach, cut into 1/16 inch slices)
- 4 ounces of fresh raspberries
- 1 Tablespoon of granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon of flour
- Sparkling sugar for sprinkling
- Position a rack in the center of your oven and preheat it to 350°F.
- Lightly butter the bottom and sides of a 9 x 2 inch round cake pan.
- Fit a piece of parchment paper on the bottom.
- Lightly flour the sides of the pan and then tap out the extra.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and set aside. Place the butter and sugar in the bowl of your mixer fitted with a paddle attachment.
- Beat the butter and sugar on medium – high until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add the eggs, one at a time.
- Add the lemon zest, and vanilla.
- Beat to combine.
- Using a spatula, fold in half of the flour mixture.
- Then fold in the yogurt. And then fold in the remaining flour mixture.
- Scrape the batter into your prepared pan and spread evenly with an offset spatula.
- Bake this for 15 minutes.
- While the cake is baking, prepare the fruit topping.
- In a small bowl, combine the peach slices, raspberries, flour and sugar.
- Toss with a fork, mixing the ingredients to lightly coat the fruit.
- Also, lightly crush the raspberries while you mix.
- Once the cake has baked for 15 minutes, slide the oven rack out and scatter the fruit evenly over the top of the cake.
- Sprinkle with sparkling sugar and continue to bake for another 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool on a rack for 20 minutes.
- Run a knife around the edge of the pan to loosen the cake.
- Lay a wire rack over the top of the pan.
- Invert the cake and remove the parchment paper.
- Then place your serving dish on the bottom of the cake.
- Invert the cake again onto your serving dish so the fruit is now on the top.
- Best when served warm or at room temperature
You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy local and that’s kind of the same thing!