Whenever I eat soup or a salad, I have to have a little piece of bread alongside.
The soup is obvious, I know. Who doesn’t love a bite of fresh bread drenched in some delicious broth. But I also love to have some bread to sop up every bit of my luscious salad dressing. These cheesy, garlicky breadsticks fit that bill and more! Soft, chewy, garlicky breadsticks are coated in freshly grated parmesan, brushed with garlic oil and tossed with poppy or sesame seeds! To me, they are just perfect on their own!
These are truly a great accompaniment to soups, salads and pasta dishes. But I love tossing some fresh herbs into olive oil and dipping these savory sticks while sipping a glass of wine!
The dough is made with sesame oil and parmesan cheese. And then rolled again in parmesan, sesame seeds or poppy seeds before baking.
If you prefer your breadsticks crispy and crunchy instead of soft and chewy, simply roll these out thinner before baking.
One small, positive thought in the morning can change your whole day.
- 2½ cups of white bread flour
- ½ cup of freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon of active dry yeast
- ½ teaspoon of fine sea salt
- 1 Tablespoon of garlic infused olive oil (plus some extra for brushing)
- 1 Tablespoon of sesame oil
- ⅔ cup of warm water
- poppy seeds, sesame seeds, grated parmesan for coating
- Place the flour, grated cheese, yeast, salt and both oils in a large bowl.
- Mix together by hand.
- Gradually add the water while you mix with one hand to bring the dough together.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Knead the dough until it is smooth and pliable, about 10 minutes.
- Then, lightly flour your surface again, and roll the dough into an 8 x 10 inch rectangle.
- Brush the top of the dough with a little bit of olive oil.
- Cover with some plastic wrap and allow the dough to rise in a warm place for about an hour, or until it has doubled in size.
- Preheat your oven to 400°F.
- Using a ruler to guide you, cut off thin strips of the dough.
- Roll each strip in either sesame seeds, poppy seeds or grated parmesan cheese.
- Space them well apart on a baking sheet and bake in the center position of your oven for 14-16 minutes.
- Transfer to a cooling rack and allow them to become dry and crisp before eating.