Do you ever feel like you fall into a rut when serving carrots as a side dish?
Me too! So here’s a flavorful, quick & easy side dish that will have your family saying, “Wow! Look at these!” instead of , “Oh no. Not carrots again!” These delicious carrots are pan and oven roasted with nothing more than a bit of olive oil, maple syrup, salt and pepper.
The key is starting with some wonderful rainbow or heirloom carrots. If your local farm doesn’t offer them, you can often find them at Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s and sometimes Wegman’s. They are just far more visually interesting than a plate of orange.
Rainbow carrots are quite colorful. You will find them in various shades of orange, yellow, white & purple.
Carrots, raw and cooked, have a natural sweetness already. Roasting brings that out a little more. And adding a touch of maple syrup makes them a bit more savory sweet.
These maple carrots are both rustic and elegant. They are a perfect side dish for any meal.
“Eat beautiful foods, which are nutritionally dense, wholesome and natural.” Bryant McGill
- 1 pound of rainbow or heirloom carrots, peeled & stems trimmed
- 1 Tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon of pure maple syrup
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Heat the oil over high heat in an ovenproof skillet. (the oil should be hot, but not smoking)
- Add the carrots and cook for 2-3 minutes, turning frequently, until they blister and brown in spots.
- Add the maple syrup, about ½ teaspoon of salt, and ¼ teaspoon of cracked black pepper.
- Turn well to coat the carrots. And then spread them out evenly in the pan.
- Place the skillet in the oven and roast for about 15 minutes or until the carrots are tender and browned in spots.
- Season to taste with more salt and pepper before serving.
Local food supports local families. Support your local farmers!