Do you like traditional tabbouleh? Though the ingredients may vary, it’s typically a parsley salad flavored with tomatoes, mint & bulgur. And it’s usually dressed with lemon juice and olive oil.
Well here is my seasonal twist on tabbouleh. Some elements are the same. But this springy version offers you both crisp and tender vegetables, the chewy nuttiness of red bulgur, fresh herbs, warm spices and the brightness of oranges! It’s a unique but fantastic forkful!
So what’s in this salad anyway?
- Tender spring vegetables: peas, asparagus tips, carrots, spring onion.
- Chewy grains: red bulgur.
- Fresh herbs: mint and parsley.
- Bright citrus: cara cara oranges and their juice.
- Warm spices: coriander, cumin, cinnamon & turmeric
This unconventional tabbouleh has such an amazing combination of flavors and textures.
Don’t be afraid of change. It is leading you to a new beginning.
- ½ cup of red bulgur, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup of water
- 3 medium Cara Cara oranges (you will use the zest of one of the oranges)
- 3 Tablespoons of olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste ( I used about ¾ teaspoon salt & ¼ teaspoon of cracked red peppercorns)
- ½ teaspoon of ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon of ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon of ground turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- ½ cup of fresh peas, blanched
- ½ cup of asparagus tips, blanched
- ½ cup of coarsely grated carrots
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- ½ cup of flat leaf parsley, chopped or snipped
- 3 Tablespoons of chopped, fresh mint
- Prepare the bulgur placing it and the ½ cup of water in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until the water is mostly absorbed.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let it stand, covered for 10 minutes.
- Add the zest of one orange to a large bowl.
- Juice that orange and add it to the bowl.
- Cut the peel and all of the white pith from the remaining two oranges.
- Working over the bowl to catch any juice, cut segments from the oranges and let them slip into the bowl.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients EXCEPT the bulgur to the bowl.
- Toss gently to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the bulgur and toss again to coat.
- Adjust seasonings.
- Cover the bowl and chill for 4 hours or overnight, stirring once or twice and again before serving..