I was craving roasted carrots. So I decided to put them into a salad. Cuz that’s what I do!
Roasted carrots alone, with a little olive oil, salt and pepper are perfect for me. But this salad involves a lot more flavor, texture and color. Carrots and chickpeas are roasted in Moroccan spices and tossed with bitter radicchio, chopped apricots, golden raisins, roasted pistachios, pretty pomegranate arils, cilantro and mint; all splashed with the most delicious, warmly spiced, Ras el Hanout vinaigrette.
It’s really all about those sweet, roasted carrots. Those burnt, charred bits are the best!
This gorgeous winter salad has it all. Sweet, salty, tangy, chewy, crunchy, bitter ingredients blend together harmoniously.
I love serving this wonderful carrot salad almost like an antipasto. Layer the salad on a serving dish and top it with the whole carrots. Place the olives and chickpeas all around. And while the salad and carrots are already dressed with amazing Moroccan spices, I also like to serve it with some cool, Greek yogurt.
- 2 pounds of carrots, peeled
- 1 can of chickpeas, drained, rinsed and patted dry
- 2 small heads of radicchio, shredded
- ½ cup of sliced dried apricots
- ½ cup of golden raisins
- ½ cup of roasted pistachios, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup of pomegranate seeds
- ¼ cup of chopped fresh mint
- ½ cup of chopped fresh cilantro
- 6 Tablespoons of olive oil
- ¼ cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon of honey
- 1 teaspoon of Ras el Hanout
- ¾ teaspoon of harissa
- mixed pitted olives
- salt & pepper to taste
- Begin by making the dressing.
- Whisk together the lemon juice, honey, Ras el Hanout, & harissa.
- Drizzle in the olive oil, while you continue to whisk.
- Taste and season with salt & pepper (you may also want to add more honey or Ras el Hanout depending on your likes)
- Place the chopped apricots and raisins in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle with about a Tablespoon of the dressing and toss to combine.
- Let them sit while you roast the carrots.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place the carrots and chickpeas on separate parchment lined baking sheets.
- Drizzle each with about a Tablespoon or 2 of the dressing.
- Season with salt and pepper and roast for about 50 minutes, toss occasionally.
- When tender and toasted, remove the carrots and chickpeas and let cool.
- Toss the radicchio, apricots, raisins, pistachios, pomegranate seeds, mint and cilantro in a large bowl.
- Dress with the remaining dressing and toss.
- Top with the carrots and chickpeas.
- Place some olives around the salad.
- Toss with additional cilantro and mint and some extra pistachios and pomegranate seeds.
- Serve with some Greek yogurt on the side.
Support your local farmers!