I love a good spinach salad. And I think spinach is a great transitional green between winter and spring. This spinach salad is especially flavorful.
Accompanying the spinach are some plump tomato basil shrimp, lightly toasted chickpeas, sweet roasted red peppers, salty crumbles of feta cheese all drizzled with a warm balsamic sun dried tomato vinaigrette!
Start off with some pretty baby spinach.
The shrimp is sautéed in a bit of the sun dried tomato oil and sprinkled with fresh basil.
The chickpeas are also lightly sautéed in the tomato oil, just enough to give them a bit of color, but still keeping them soft.
You can certainly roast some bell peppers on your own. But find a good brand and the jarred peppers work just fine!
I love this salad as a main meal, either lunch or dinner. It’s so satisfying that you really don’t need anything else. Okay….. maybe a chunk of peasant bread and a great glass of wine. Then you are all set!
So easy to make. The luscious sun dried tomato vinaigrette is made in a saute pan on the stove. Toss together the spinach, shrimp, chickpeas, roasted peppers & feta. Then drizzle the beautiful dressing over everything and toss. I like to garnish it with some more chopped fresh basil. Sometimes I’ll add some orange or yellow cherry tomatoes.
And the thing I love most about this salad are the leftovers. Let’s face it. Dressed salads really don’t make for great leftovers. But spinach is different. And I like to saute some salad in a pan and add some pasta to the mix. The spinach wilts perfectly and you have an entirely different meal!
- 1 pound of large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 pound of fresh baby spinach
- 1 (15 ounce) can of chickpeas
- 1 (12 ounce) jar of roasted red peppers, drained, blotted dry & cut into thin strips.
- 6 ounces of feta cheese, crumbled
- 12 sun dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained (reserving the oil) and cut into small strips
- 3 Tablespoons of the sun dried tomato oil
- 4 Tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons of minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoon of chopped fresh basil
- ⅔ cup of balsamic vinegar
- a pinch of salt & more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- Heat 1 Tablespoon of sun dried tomato oil in a medium frying pan.
- Rinse & drain the chickpeas & pat them dry.
- When the oil is hot, add the chickpeas, gently toss, and saute over med high heat until the turn slightly golden, about 5 minutes, remove and set aside.
- In the same pan, heat another 2 Tablespoons of tomato oil.
- Add the shrimp and saute for 1-2 minutes each side until pink & opaques.
- Sprinkle the shrimp with basil and toss.
- Remove the shrimp to a plate and set aside.
- In the same pan, add 2 Tablespoons of olive oil and heat until hot but not smoking.
- Add the garlic and sun dried tomatoes and saute for a minute until the mix becomes fragrant.
- Add the vinegar, and heat until bubbly.
- Add the remaining 2 Tablespoons of olive oil, whisk and heat until very warm.
- Add the salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss the spinach, shrimp, chickpeas, bell peppers, and feta in your serving bowl.
- Drizzle with the sun dried tomato vinaigrette, toss, garnish with additional basil if desired, and serve immediately.
Support your local farms and farmer’s markets!