As you can imagine, I love salads in any form. And sometimes I enjoy a departure from greens.
This rice and apple salad is a WONDERFUL salad to serve for the fall and winter holidays. It’s got a ton of flavor and texture. Madagascar pink rice, fresh sweet apples, chewy dried cranberries, crunchy cukes, pickled onions, toasted pecans, chives & parsley are covered in a mustardy apple cider dressing.
You can taste each and every ingredient in this special rice salad. It never gets mushy even as it keeps in the fridge for a couple of days.
And the same warm apple cider juice that was used to plump the dried cranberries is used again in this cider vinaigrette, along with some stone ground mustard, cinnamon & maple syrup!
Sweet. Chewy. Fresh. Crunchy. Tangy. This salad has such a great balance of ingredients.
This salad is both sweet and savory. But you know, it’s so good and fresh, I’d eat it for breakfast!
And the rice doesn’t take over; nor is it hidden.
I love serving this at Thanksgiving. And I’ll add a little chopped turkey when I have leftovers.
This little fall harvest salad is as pretty as it is healthy!
Health is not just about what you’re eating. It’s about what you’re thinking and saying.
- 1 cup of uncooked Madagascar red rice (Lotus Foods)
- 2 gala apples, cored & chopped
- 1 English cucumber, seeded & chopped
- 4 ounces of pecan halves, toasted.
- 5 ounces of dried cranberries
- 1 cup of chopped, pickled onions
- 1 Tablespoon of lightly dried parsley (Gourmet Garden)
- 1 Tablespoon of lightly dried chives (Gourmet Garden)
- For the Dressing:
- ¼ cup of apple cider
- ½ cup of olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons of cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon of whole grain mustard
- 1 Tablespoon of maple syrup
- ⅛ teaspoon of cinnamon
- You can pickle some onions a day in advance using the recipe on this blog for PRETTY PICKLED ONIONS.
- Otherwise, before you start the salad you should do two things:
- Slice a purple onion very thinly using a mandolin and place them in a bowl. Cover them with some apple cider or rice wine vinegar and let them rest while you prepare the rest of the salad.
- Warm the apple cider in the microwave for a minute.
- Add the cranberries and let them sit while you prepare the rest of the salad.
- Prepare the rice according to package directions and let cool.
- Place the pecans in a nonstick frying pan and heat over medium heat until they begin to toast and become fragrant.
- Transfer the pecans to a bowl or dish to cool.
- When the rice is cooled, pour it into a large bowl.
- Add the apples, cucumbers and pecans.
- Drain the cranberries, RESERVING THE JUICE, and add the cranberries to the salad.
- Add the onions to the salad.
- In a separate bowl, combine the reserved apple cider, mustard, maple syrup and cinnamon. Whisk in the olive oil.
- Season with salt & pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to combine.
- Sprinkle with the parsley and chives and toss again before serving.
If you ate today, thank a farmer!