Sometimes, no matter what time of the year, we just need a way to jazz up broccoli.
This Asian inspired salad features lightly steamed broccoli, quick pickled onions, crunchy shredded carrots, sweet golden raisins, chopped roasted cashews and toasted sesame seeds coated in a sweet and spicy Japanese 7 Spice vinaigrette.
I went to the market one day to buy some dried herbs. They had a buy 2, get 1 free special. So I picked up a bottle of McCormack’s Japanese 7 Spice. While the bottle doesn’t label all 7 spices; it does include nori flakes, orange peel, chilies and sesame seeds. It’s got a spicy kick and is really flavorful. Especially so when combined with sesame oil, rice vinegar, honey, garlic & cayenne!
The spicy vinaigrette coats these hearty vegetables perfectly.
A big bowl of this salad is perfect for my lunch.
But this salad is great in that the main veg is the broccoli. And even a big scoop of this is a wonderful side to any main dish.
The spiciness of this salad is so comforting on a cold day. But this is a terrific salad to serve any time of the year!
- 4 small heads of broccoli, chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 cup of roasted, chopped cashews
- ½ cup of grated carrots
- ¼ cup of golden raisins
- ½ cup of thinly sliced red onion
- 1 Tablespoon of toasted sesame seeds
- 2 Tablespoons of sesame oil
- 2 Tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 6 Tablespoons of rice vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon of honey
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon of Japanese 7 Spice
- salt to taste
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- extra rice vinegar or red wine vinegar for pickling the onions
- To quickly pickle the onions, place the onions in a deep bowl or jar and cover with rice wine or red wine vinegar. Drain them just before you add them to the salad.
- Place the broccoli florets into a large zip lock baggie, seal and pierce the bag with a fork.
- Place the broccoli in the microwave for 4 minutes.
- Pour the broccoli into a large serving bowl.
- Place the golden raisins in a small bowl and cover with warm water to plump them up.
- Drain them after about 10-15 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the sesame oil, vegetable oil, 6 Tablespoons of rice vinegar, garlic, honey, Japanese 7 spice, pinch of salt & cayenne.
- To the bowl of broccoli, add the carrots, golden raisins, pickled onions, cashews, and sesame seeds.
- Pour the vinaigrette over the salad and toss.
- This salad can be served warm, cold or room temperature.
Buy fresh & local!