Not all salads need lettuce. To me, any seasonal produce that “gets dressed” is a salad. But I guess you can also consider this to be a delicious summer side. And if you eat green beans as often as I do, you will welcome another new way to serve them.
This is one of the most flavorful summertime salads that I enjoy every year. Fresh summer beans and beautiful, sweet peaches are grilled to perfection. The dressing is a triple threat of bacon, maple syrup & grainy mustard, along with some shallots, garlic & sherry vinegar. A little of the bacon grease is used, too, to create a sweet, tangy and smoky dressing for the still crisp beans and luscious peaches!
There’s nothing better than summer peaches. They don’t have to be perfectly ripe; just enough that the flesh parts easily from the pit. If you can’t find wax beans, then use all green. Snow peas, snap peas & haricots verts would be just as good, too!
These beans and peaches have a light coating of olive oil and are awaiting their turn on the grill. After that, they will be bathed in that luscious, warm bacon vinaigrette. It’s so delicious, I think you will want to use it in many other salads. Definitely fantastic on a potato salad!
Despite a quick blanch and some time on the grill, the beans really remain perfectly crisp. The grilling also brings out more sweetness in the peaches.
While four slices of bacon is adequate for this salad, I like to make a little more to sprinkle on top. Okay. Who am I kidding? I just like to eat extra bacon when I’m cooking! Leftovers reheat really well by sautéing in a non stick frying pan until everything is warm again!
Such simple ingredients here. But such amazing flavor. And definitely one of my favorite summer salads!
It’s not about how you look. It’s about how you see yourself.
- FOR THE SALAD:
- 1 pound total of summer beans (green or wax or a combination)
- 2 peaches, sliced
- 1 Tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon of fresh, chopped chives
- salt & pepper to taste
- FOR THE DRESSING:
- 4 slices of thick cut bacon, cut into 1 inch thick slices
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 Tablespoon of pure maple syrup
- 1 Tablespoon of whole grain mustard
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 4 Tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons of sherry vinegar
- salt & pepper to taste.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Add the beans and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Drain and add the beans to a bowl of ice water.
- Drain the beans again and pat dry.
- Add the beans and sliced peaches to a large bowl.
- Add 1 Tablespoon of olive.
- Season with a pinch of salt & pepper and toss.
- Heat a grill pan on high heat.
- Add the summer beans first and grill until the beans become charred or blistered, 3-4 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Place the beans in your serving bowl.
- Grilled the peaches next, for about a minute or two on each side, until nice grill marks appear.
- Place them in the bowl with the beans; add the chives and gently toss.
- Combine the shallot, garlic, maple, mustard l & sherry vinegar in a small bowl.
- In a medium frying pan, cook the bacon until crisp.
- Remove the bacon pieces to a paper towel lined plate to drain.
- Discard all but 2 Tablespoons of bacon fat from the pan.
- Add the shallot mixture to the pan and cook until shallots have softened & the mixture is heated through.
- Add the olive oil and stir to combine.
- Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Add back the bacon, stir to combine.
- Pour the bacon dressing over the beans & peaches.
- Toss once more.
- Garnish with extra bacon & chives if desired
- Serve immediately.
- (Leftovers reheat well by tossing them in a saute pan until warm.)
Support farmers everywhere!