When you think of comfort food, does salad come to mind?
Probably not! And I don’t blame you! But I can’t think of anything more comforting than a bowl of sweet, juicy tomatoes and soft, crusty bread chunks. I love panzanellas. Those toasted cubes of bread soaking up all the vinaigrette and tomato juices. Here, I’ve decided to add some grilled shrimp marinated in an orange & rosemary balsamic vinaigrette bath.
And while tomatoes are not quite in season, yet; I purchased some ‘ugly tomatoes’ from The Fresh Market. These are beautiful heirloom tomatoes that are grown at Windmill Farms in North Carolina.
I just LOVE shrimp!
Aside from some beautiful ugly tomatoes, you will need some crusty old bread. I actually use fresh bread, though, because while I like the crunch on the outside, I love a soft interior. And I love to cut the cubes rather big!
Coincidentally, the shrimp I used is also from North Carolina. I prepared the shrimp first, to allow it to marinate in some orange balsamic vinegar, olive oil, orange zest and rosemary. Grill it for about 2 minutes on each side and you are ready to go!
The dressing I used is a basic balsamic vinaigrette, made with orange balsamic vinegar.
Toss it all together. Add a sprinkling of fresh basil and oregano and enjoy every sweet, juicy, soft, crunchy bite!
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.
- For the Salad:
- 4 large heirloom tomatoes
- 1 half of a large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 loaf of crusty bread (baguette, ciabatta, rustic baton)
- 1 lb. of shrimp, peeled, cleaned and deveined
- 1 Tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon of balsamic vinaigrette
- 1 teaspoon of freshly grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon of fresh, minced rosemary
- 2 Tablespoons of fresh, diced basil
- 1 Tablespoon of fresh oregano
- salt & pepper
- For the Vinaigrette:
- ½ cup of olive oil
- ¼ cup of balsamic vinegar
- salt & pepper to taste
- Place the shrimp in a bowl.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Add the tablespoon of olive oil, the tablespoon of balsamic vinegar, orange zest, and rosemary.
- Toss to combine and let is rest while you prepare the dressing.
- Prepare the vinaigrette by placing the oil, vinegar, salt and pepper in a mason jar.
- Shake to combine and season to taste.
- Heat your grill to medium high heat.
- Slice the bread in half and brush the inside with a bit of olive oil.
- Grill on both sides until toasted and golden brown.
- Cut into cubes and place in a large bowl.
- Place the shrimp on the grill and cook until pink with grill marks, about 2 minutes each side.
- Cut the tomatoes into large, casual bites and place on top of the bread.
- Add the sliced onions and shrimp.
- Pour the vinaigrette over the salad and toss to combine.
- Sprinkle with the fresh herbs and serve.
Support your local farmers and your neighboring farmers, too!