When you think of comfort food, does salad come to mind?
Probably not! And I don’t blame you! But I can’t think of anything more comforting than a bowl of sweet, juicy tomatoes and soft, crusty bread chunks. I love panzanellas. Those toasted cubes of bread soaking up all the vinaigrette and tomato juices. Here, I’ve decided to add some grilled shrimp marinated in an orange & rosemary balsamic vinaigrette bath.
And while tomatoes are not quite in season, yet; I purchased some ‘ugly tomatoes’ from The Fresh Market. These are beautiful heirloom tomatoes that are grown at Windmill Farms in North Carolina.
I just LOVE shrimp!
Aside from some beautiful ugly tomatoes, you will need some crusty old bread. I actually use fresh bread, though, because while I like the crunch on the outside, I love a soft interior. And I love to cut the cubes rather big!
Coincidentally, the shrimp I used is also from North Carolina. I prepared the shrimp first, to allow it to marinate in some orange balsamic vinegar, olive oil, orange zest and rosemary. Grill it for about 2 minutes on each side and you are ready to go!
The dressing I used is a basic balsamic vinaigrette, made with orange balsamic vinegar.
Toss it all together. Add a sprinkling of fresh basil and oregano and enjoy every sweet, juicy, soft, crunchy bite!
“Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.” Camille Pissarro
- For the Salad:
- 4 large heirloom tomatoes
- 1 half of a large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 loaf of crusty bread (baguette, ciabatta, rustic baton)
- 1 lb. of shrimp, peeled, cleaned and deveined
- 1 Tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon of balsamic vinaigrette
- 1 teaspoon of freshly grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon of fresh, minced rosemary
- 2 Tablespoons of fresh, diced basil
- 1 Tablespoon of fresh oregano
- salt & pepper
- For the Vinaigrette:
- ½ cup of olive oil
- ¼ cup of balsamic vinegar
- salt & pepper to taste
- Place the shrimp in a bowl.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Add the tablespoon of olive oil, the tablespoon of balsamic vinegar, orange zest, and rosemary.
- Toss to combine and let is rest while you prepare the dressing.
- Prepare the vinaigrette by placing the oil, vinegar, salt and pepper in a mason jar.
- Shake to combine and season to taste.
- Heat your grill to medium high heat.
- Slice the bread in half and brush the inside with a bit of olive oil.
- Grill on both sides until toasted and golden brown.
- Cut into cubes and place in a large bowl.
- Place the shrimp on the grill and cook until pink with grill marks, about 2 minutes each side.
- Cut the tomatoes into large, casual bites and place on top of the bread.
- Add the sliced onions and shrimp.
- Pour the vinaigrette over the salad and toss to combine.
- Sprinkle with the fresh herbs and serve.
Support your local farmers and your neighboring farmers, too!