Happy first day of summer!
Will you do me a favor?
If you only make and eat one salad all summer long, PLEASE, make and eat this one! I promise you, you will love it. There’s such an amazing combination of flavors in this pretty summer salad, that each forkful is a new experience. In one bite, you are loving the grilled summer squash. Another bite has you focused on the sweet, charred corn. Tomato basil feta lends a salty, savory tang. The fresh basil and parsley keep it bright. And the hot pepper flakes give it just enough heat and warmth. All tossed with a simple oil and vinegar dressing.
For the first day of summer, I thought I would kick off the salad season with two of summer’s best vegetables. I love corn and zucchini only second to tomatoes. Yellow or white corn, green or yellow squash; use whatever’s available to you.
It’s certainly not necessary to grill the corn and zucchini. But it definitely enhances the flavor. You can actually shave the zucchini very thin and use it raw. I like tomato basil feta cheese. But plain feta, goat cheese, or blue cheese would work, too.
So keep your promise, and I’ll keep mine. Make this salad and I guarantee, it will be among your favorites!
Work hard in silence. Let success make the noise.
- 5 ears of corn, husked
- 4 small zucchini
- 3 ounces of crumbled tomato feta
- ¼ cup of chopped, fresh basil
- ¼ cup of chopped, fresh parsley
- ⅓ cup of olive oil
- ½ cup of white wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes
- salt & pepper to taste
- Place the corn in a large pot of salted, boiling water.
- Cook for about 3 minutes, or until tender.
- Transfer to a plate.
- Thinly slice the zucchini lengthwise on a mandolin.
- Brush your grill plates with a little olive oil and set to med high.
- Place the zucchini slices on the grill and roast for about a minute each side or until they are lightly browned.
- Place the corn on the grill and roast until the corn is charred to your desire, rotating as needed.
- Let the corn rest until it is cool enough to handle.
- Cut the kernels from the cobs and place in a large bowl.
- Add the zucchini, basil, parsley and red pepper flakes.
- Whisk the vinegar and oil together and season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss gently.
- Sprinkle with the feta cheese before serving.
No farms = No food. Thank you farmers!