Yeah, I know. Oatmeal isn’t one of the sexiest foods out there. But, (sing it with me) I’m bringing oatmeal baaaaaack!
I have to! I love it so much. I’ve mentioned before that no matter what the season, I eat soup and ice cream all year round. Well, I have to throw oatmeal in there, too. The truth be told, I sometimes like a bowl of oatmeal for my dinner! And while I always make it from scratch, I usually just slice a banana or toss in some blueberries and call it a day.
Cherries have been looking so good and tasting so sweet lately, that I decided to use them in this very special oatmeal bowl. I made the oats with almond milk, a drizzle of maple syrup and chopped fresh cherries. And I topped it with more sweet, plump cherries; bits of chopped dark chocolate, slivered almonds and unsweetened toasted coconut. The more you dig in and mix, the better it gets.
Make the oatmeal and set out the toppings. Everyone can have a little more or less of what they like.
You know, I was pretty satisfied with the oatmeal before I topped it. I love the almond oats studded with chopped fresh cherries. But the toasted coconut and sliced almonds really add some texture and crunch. And when the chocolate bits begin to melt in the warmth of your oats, though it looks like a muddy mess, it is just heaven! I think it’s always good to start off your day with a little chocolate!
This oatmeal has such a great combination of texture and flavor, but it is not overly sweet. So try this while these beautiful cherries are in season, and sneak a little chocolate into the start of your day!
Never underestimate your ability to make someone else’s life better, even if you never know it.
- 4 cups of almond milk
- 2 cups of old fashioned oats
- 3 Tablespoons of pure maple syrup
- ⅛ teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of chopped fresh cherries (plus extra for garnish)
- 4 ounces of dark chocolate, chopped
- ¼ cup of sliced almonds
- ¼ cup of toasted, unsweetened coconut
- Bring the almond milk to a boil in a large saucepan.
- Add the oats, salt and maple syrup and simmer, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes.
- Take the oatmeal off of the heat, add the chopped cherries and stir to combine.
- Divide the oatmeal between 4 bowls.
- Top each bowl with additional cherries, 1 ounce of chocolate and Tablespoon each of almonds and coconut.
When you eat your favorite fruit, give thanks to the person who planted the tree.