I fell in love with blue cheese about 30 years ago when I had it finely grated on a salad.
I can still say it is one of my favorite types of cheese. And I love trying all varieties of blue cheese. I always keep a chunk in my freezer and I still love to have it grated on salads. But I also love to have all of my salad components drenched in blue cheese creaminess. For this blue cheese dressing, I used Danish blue cheese. It gives this creamy salad dressing a milder blue cheese flavor, with a tangy, salty bite. And I enhanced it a bit with some grated shallots and tarragon vinegar. And I love to fold in some crumbled blue cheese for added texture and flavor!
I really love to drench my salads in this luscious stuff.
I don’t think I’ve ever tasted a blue cheese that I didn’t love. Here’s the Danish blue.
Great for salads, this blue cheese dressing makes a great dip, too!
This blue cheese salad dressing would be perfect to add a lot of flavor to a plate of greens. But I always add apples, onions, pecans; and many other ingredients to my salad that I think pair well with blue cheese.
I added the shallot and tarragon vinegar to this dressing because I was using a milder blue cheese. Though any blue cheese would work well in a pinch, the Danish blue is the best for this particular recipe.
- 5 ounces of Danish blue cheese, divided
- ½ cup of mayonnaise
- ¼ cup of sour cream
- ¼ cup of plain yogurt
- ½ shallot, grated
- 2-3 Tablespoons of milk
- 1 Tablespoon of tarragon vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon of kosher salt
- a few grinds of cracked white pepper.
- Put 4 ounces of crumbled blue cheese, the mayo, sour cream, yogurt, shallot, vinegar, salt and pepper in the bowl of your food processor.
- Puree until combined and creamy.
- Add milk, 1 Tablespoon at a time to get to your desired thickness. (when I use this as a dip, I don't use any milk.)
- Crumble the remaining 1 ounce of blue cheese and gently fold it into the mix.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
Support your local farms and businesses!