Is cabbage one of those things that people either love or hate?
I’ve loved it ever since I was a young girl and my father made a simple pan fried cabbage and noodle dish, simply flavored with butter, salt and pepper. Well this cabbage side dish has a little more going for it. Green cabbage is flavored with curry spices such as ginger, cumin, turmeric, coriander, cayenne and cinnamon; and then combined with nutty, crunchy cashews and sweet chewy golden raisins. It’s a warm and satisfying side dish; though I will often serve this over rice for a simple, spicy supper.
Toast up some naan and this is a perfect little nibble.
And don’t you just love the bright color the turmeric lends to this dish?
There is a richness to the sautéed cabbage which I love all on it’s own. But it’s so much more delicious with the curry spices coating the nutty cashews and those sweet, chewy raisins. A great contrast and combination of flavors and textures in every bite!
The spices in this curried cabbage will warm you perfectly on a chilly fall or winter’s day!
- 2 pounds of cabbage (one large head), thinly sliced
- ¼ cup of butter
- ¼ cup of olive oil
- 1 cup of raw cashews
- ½ cup of golden raisins
- 4 Tablespoons of minced, fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons of ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon of ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon of turmeric
- ½ teaspoon of cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- Heat the butter and olive oil in a large saute pan.
- Add the cashews, raisins, ginger, cumin, coriander, cinnamon and pepper.
- Cook until the cashews and ginger are golden; about 3-4 minutes.
- Add turmeric and cabbage and cook until the cabbage is tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Seasons with salt and pepper.
If you ate today, thank a farmer!