I love cucumbers. Especially in the summer. They are so crisp and crunchy and juicy. As refreshing as watermelon. But unlike watermelon, cukes can use a little help in the flavor department. Truthfully, just a little salt & vinegar and I’m happy. But when they are the main ingredient in a salad, they can really use a bold, flavorful dressing.
This refreshing cucumber salad also features sugar snap peas, diced red onion, black sesame seeds, and a pinch of red pepper flakes. But the star of the show is the luscious Sesame Tahini Dressing from Dress It Up Dressing. This dressing is so creamy and flavorful. It’s the perfect bold and assertive dressing for mild flavored vegetables like cucumbers.
While it’s fun to make your own salad dressings, it’s nice to have the convenience of one already made for you. This is hands down my new favorite bottled dressing. I don’t think I could make it more luscious if I tried. All that’s left to do is spiralize your cukes, slice some sugar snap peas, finely dice some red onion and toss it altogether with some Sesame Tahini Dressing.
Sometimes you can make a salad more interesting just by playing around with textures and shapes. I usually just slice cucumbers into a salad. But turning the cucumbers into noodles is unexpected. And in this case, it really elevates the humble cucumber!
But what also elevates this salad is this special dressing. It’s just the perfect blend of rice vinegar, sesame seeds, sesame oil, olive oil, tamari and spices. It coats the cucumbers perfectly, giving this ordinary salad a beautiful depth of flavor.
I spiralized the cukes with a combination of skins on and off, just to keep a bit of green color. I also added the sugar snap peas and red onions for the same reason. I sprinkled the salad with some black sesame seeds and red pepper flakes for contrast. Parsley and edible flowers also brighten up this crunchy summer salad. But you can add any other colorful veggie that you’d like. Radishes or orange bell peppers would be great!
I’ve enjoyed vinegar based cucumber salads as well as those creamy dill dressings. But for me, they don’t pack the punch of this delicious Sesame Tahini Dressing. I also feel it’s important to support local businesses. And with dressings this good, it’s easy to do! I’m going to be sure to have a couple of bottles of Dress It Up Dressings on hand at all times!
- 4 large cucumbers, spiralized
- 1 cup of sugar snap peas, sliced
- ½ small red onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon of black sesame seeds
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- salt & pepper to taste
- fresh parsley & edible flowers to garnish if desired
- 1 cup of Sesame Tahini Dressing (from Dress It Up Dressings)
- Spiralize the cucumbers and then either place them in a bowl.
- Add a big pinch of salt, cover with saran and let them sit in your refrigerator for at least an hour, or overnight.
- Drain the cucumbers in a colander and gently pat dry.
- Blanch the snap peas in boiling water for a minute or two.
- Drain and submerge in a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking and preserve the color.
- When the snap peas are cool enough to handle, slice them diagonally.
- Place the cukes, snap peas and onions in a large bowl.
- Add salt & pepper to taste
- Pour ½ cup of dressing on the veggies and gently toss.
- Drizzle the remaining dressing on top.
- Sprinkle with a pinch of red pepper flakes if desired, and the sesame seeds, parsley and edible flowers.
- Serve immediately.
Support your local businesses!
Disclaimer: I was provided with several free bottles of dressing to try from Dress It Up Dressing. However, all statements and opinions of these dressings are my own. I love them!