Think about the last salad you ate. How would you describe it?
Well the last salad I ate was this fruit and cukes combo. And the first word that comes to my mind is JUICY!
This will be one of the most refreshing salads you will ever eat. It’s got cool & crunchy cucumbers, sweet & juicy cantaloupe, tart blackberries, peppery arugula, creamy feta cheese and toasted sunflower seeds; all bathed in a sweet-hot chile lime vinaigrette. This is the perfect light, sweet and savory salad for a warm summer day!
This is such a quick, light salad. Add some pieces of prosciutto to make it a little more substantial if you’d like.
I love combining sweet and savory flavors together. And this salad dressing is no exception. Bright, tart, fresh lime juice is the base. And chili powder and red pepper flakes give it a kick and some heat. Chopped cilantro keeps it fresh. Minced garlic and some honey really round it out.
You can vary this in many ways. Iceberg or romaine would lend even more of a juicy crunch. Not a fan of feta? Parmesan shards would be great. And I think blueberries would work very well in this salad.
So beat the heat this summer with this fruity, crunchy, juicy salad.
- 1½ pounds of chopped cantaloupe (about 2-3 cups)
- 1 large English cucumber, halved, seeded and sliced
- 10 ounces of fresh blackberries
- 5 ounces of baby arugula
- 4 ounces of crumbled feta
- 2 Tablespoons of toasted sunflower seeds
- the juice of 2 limes (about ¼ cup)
- ½ cup of olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons of honey
- 1 Tablespoon of chopped cilantro
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon of chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- Place the arugula, cucumber slices, melon chunks, blackberries, feta and sunflower seeds in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the lime juice, honey, cilantro, garlic, red pepper flakes, chili powder and salt.
- Continue to whisk as you slowly drizzle in the olive oil.
- Toss the salad with about ¼ cup of the dressing.
- Serve the remaining dressing on the side.
Support your local farmers!