I love creamy salad dressings. Do you know why? Because not all the salads I make are jacked up. Sometimes I like a simple salad of greens. With maybe a simple vegetable or two. And in those cases, I love the greens to be coated with some creamy goodness.
This quick and easy pepper and herb dressing can work double time. It’s a luscious mayo and sour cream based dressing, with tangy fresh lemon juice, fresh minced garlic, and studded with fiery crushed pink peppercorns and chopped fresh dill. Perfect for your salad greens, potato or pasta salads, or as a dip for your favorite veggies.
I love pink peppercorns. I keep a grinder full of them on my counter all the time. Not only do they add heat and spice to any recipe, they also add a flash of bright color. For this salad dressing, I found it quicker and easier to place them in a baggie and pound and roll over them with a rolling pin. Chop up your favorite herb. Everything goes into a mini food processor. And you’re done!
I wanted the freshness and color of dill for this dressing. I was serving it with a Christmas salad and the colors were just perfect.
Despite the mayo, this dressing is actually quite light in both flavor and texture. And it gets better the longer it sits.
This creamy pepper and dill dressing is so easy and delicious. And just as versatile. Here’s how you can MAKE IT YOUR OWN:
- Don’t have pink peppercorns on hand? Use black peppercorns, green peppercorns or a combination.
- I chose dill to keep the dressing light and bright. But feel free to substitute your favorite herb. Thyme, tarragon, chives, cilantro, parsley would all be great choices.
- A touch of lemon brings a little acidic tang to this dressing. But so would lime, oranges or grapefruit. Or a splash of your favorite vinegar.
- I used a combination of mayo and sour cream. But you could also use crème fraiche or yogurt in any combination.
- Instead of thinning the dressing with milk, use buttermilk or coconut milk.
- Add more garlic if that’s your thing. Leave out the herbs if you just want a simple peppery dressing.
- ½ cup of mayonnaise
- ½ cup of sour cream
- 2 Tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons of freshly cracked pink peppercorns
- 4 teaspoons of freshly chopped dill (or herb of your choice)
- 1-2 Tablespoons of milk or cream
- 1 clove of freshly minced garlic
- salt to taste (about ½ teaspoon)
- Place all of the ingredients except the milk in a mini food processor.
- Mix to combine.
- Start with 1 Tablespoon of milk and add more or less till you reach your desired consistency.
- Add more salt or garlic to taste.
All of my salads and dressings are just a starting place for your imagination. So feel free to add or swap ingredients and do what works for you!