Spring is finally here! And for many of us at this time, we naturally start thinking about lightening up our meals. But for me, on these windy, blustery first days of spring, I still enjoy a warm and comforting meal that features some fresh and classic early spring vegetables.
This spring cobbler is so delicious. The light lemony chicken cream sauce is studded with chunks of tender white chicken, sweet peas, fresh asparagus, earthy mushrooms, carrots, onions & celery and topped with easy parmesan thyme biscuits.
As impressive as this cobbler looks, it’s hard to believe that once you have the ingredients you need, it comes together and is ready in just about 30 minutes!
I have made the chicken and vegetable base for this cobbler and just served it over rice. So good! But the biscuits are super easy and so tender. No need for bread to sop up the sauce. It’s already there! Pour the creamy chicken & spring veggie base into your baking dish. Mix up those easy 4 ingredient biscuits. Spoon them on top of that luscious sauce and bake!
The sauce is rich with those wonderful spring veggies. And those biscuits! Cheesy and tender, they perfectly absorb the creamy fresh thyme and lemon sauce.
Leave out the chicken and substitute vegetable stock to make this vegetarian. And this recipe is so easy to adapt to the seasons by adding the vegetables and herbs of your choice.
- ½ cup of butter, divided
- 1 cup of chopped onion
- 1 cup of chopped celery
- 1 cup of chopped carrots
- 1 cup of fresh (or frozen & thawed) peas
- 1 cup of chopped asparagus
- 1 (8 ounce) package of sliced mushrooms
- 4 cups of cooked, chopped chicken (1 whole rotisserie chicken worked perfectly here)
- 4 cups of chicken broth
- ⅔ cup of all purpose flour
- ½ cup of whipping cream
- 2 Tablespoons of fresh minced thyme, divided
- 1 Tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
- 1½ teaspoons of salt
- 1 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 2 cups of Bisquick
- 1 cup of shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 cup of whole milk
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spray a 13 x 9 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Melt ¼ of a cup of the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions, celery, carrots and mushrooms and cook for about 5-6 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the asparagus and cook for another 4-5 minutes.
- Add the peas, stir and set aside.
- In another large, deep skillet or dutch oven, melt the remaining ¼ cup of butter over medium heat.
- Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly for a minute.
- Add the chicken broth and cream and whisk until smooth and no lumps remain.
- Cook, whisking constantly, until the mixture has thickened, about 3-4 minutes.
- Whisk in the lemon juice, thyme, salt & pepper.
- Add the chicken, veggie mixture and stir to combine.
- Pour into your prepared baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, combine the Bisquick, cheese, milk and remaining 1 Tablespoon of thyme.
- Stir until just combined.
- Drop the dough by heaping spoonfuls onto the cobbler.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, until the biscuits are golden and the cobbler is hot and bubbly.
- Serve immediately.
Support your local farmers!