What fruits or veggies have you eaten in fritters?
I’ve seen fritters made with apples, pears, bananas, zucchini, corn, cauliflower and then some! Sometimes they are more doughnut like and other times they are like pancakes. But to me, what’s most important is that the main ingredient stands out. The carrots in these fritters really shine through.
These carrot fritters are made with brown rice flour and are simply seasoned with salt, pepper and cilantro. The fritters alone are a unique side dish to your main meal. But to make this a light lunch or supper, top it with some lightly whipped ricotta cheese sprinkled with finely chopped pistachios and drizzled with some sweet, sticky honey. An easy lemon and olive oil watercress salad is a perfect, light accompaniment.
Crunchy on the outside, soft and naturally sweet on the inside, this is a really great way to serve carrots on the side.
While the fritters fry for a few minutes on each side, with your electric mixer, whip a little air into the ricotta cheese. Serve it also with some finely chopped nuts and a drizzle of honey. Each bite is a crunchy, savory, sweet and salty experience.
Actually, my favorite way to eat these savory fritters is with a big dollop of ricotta and a huge drizzle of honey! Finely chopped cashews are really good, too. Don’t like ricotta? Sub in some yogurt or sour cream.
You can certainly spice up the ricotta if you’d like. And while some lemon and olive oil dressed cress was perfect with all the flavors in this dish, you can certainly serve this with any greens or dressings you’d like.
Quick and easy, light and crunchy. Breakfast, lunch, supper or snack. You will love the versatility of these scrumptious carrot fritters!
If it doesn’t challenge you, it won’t change you.
- 1 pound of carrots, peeled and coarsely grated (about 3½ - 4 cups)
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 Tablespoon of lightly dried cilantro (I love Gourmet Garden)
- ¼ cup of brown rice flour
- 3 Tablespoons of olive oil, divided
- 8 ounces of ricotta cheese
- 2 cups of watercress
- 1 Tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
- Finely chopped pistachios & honey for garnish
- salt & pepper to taste
- Mix the carrots, eggs, brown rice flour and cilantro together in a large bowl.
- Season with salt & pepper.
- Heat 2 Tablespoons of olive oil in a cast iron pan over medium-high heat.
- Scoop ½ cup of carrot mixture and drop into the skillet.
- Press the mixture to about ½ inch thickness.
- Cook two at a time, rotating the skillet occasionally for even browning.
- Cook until the fritters are golden brown, about 3 minutes per side.
- Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to drain.
- Repeat, to make two more fritters.
- Meanwhile, place the ricotta in a bowl and mix with an electric mixer on medium high until light and fluffy.
- Toss the greens with lemon juice and the remaining 1 Tablespoon of olive oil. Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Serve the fritters topped with a dollop of ricotta, chopped pistachios and a drizzle of honey.
- Serve with dressed greens.
No farmers = No food. Support your local farmers!