I have a dose of vitamin C for you that tastes way better than your daily tablet!
This wonderful citrus salad is loaded with sweet & juicy Cara Cara and Blood Oranges. Sitting on a bed of tender baby lettuces, it’s sprinkled with salty and creamy barrel aged feta cheese and crunchy pistachios. Add a splash of fresh Blood Orange Vinaigrette and you have sunshine on a plate in the middle of winter.
This is a perfect salad for lunch if you want to chase away the winter doldrums. But it’s equally good as a very refreshing side for some of winters heavier and richer meals.
I love Cara Cara oranges for their sweetness and juiciness. And although they are equally sweet and juicy, Blood Oranges just have such amazing colors!
Any good, basic balsamic vinegar would certainly work with this salad. But it’s best served with an easy and fresh 3 ingredient Blood Orange Vinaigrette.
Honestly, these oranges were so juicy, I think a little olive oil drizzled over the top would have been good enough.
These ingredients on their own are so good. The oranges so sweet and juicy. The barrel aged feta is more firm and tangy than others I’ve had. And the pistachios lend a salty, crunchy bite. This salad is so fresh and bright, it is sure to chase away your winter blues.
- 4 blood oranges, peeled and sliced
- 3 cara cara oranges, peeled and sliced
- 5 ounces of baby lettuces
- 4 ounces of barrel aged feta (I used Mt. Vikos), crumbled
- ½ cup of pistachios, roughly chopped
- Simply toss all of the ingredients together. Toss with about ¼ cup of blood orange vinaigrette. Sprinkle with a few more chunks of feta and pistachio pieces to garnish. Serve with extra vinaigrette on the side.