When you recall the food you ate at your last cookout, what do you remember? Those amazing barbecued spare ribs? That phenomenal strawberry pie? How about that unbelievable coleslaw?
You don’t remember the coleslaw?
Now you will! Because this recipe is more than coleslaw. It’s an unbelievably good chunky summer coleslaw, that I should be calling a coleslaw salad! It’s got shreds of red and green cabbage, carrot matchsticks, grated radish, thinly sliced purple onion AND shallots; as well as plump sweet blueberries and crunchy sweet summer corn!
Step aside all you picnic side dishes. Cuz this summer slaw is about to take front and center!
You will certainly still recognize this as coleslaw. But with much more texture, color and flavor!
What do you need to do?
- Shred the cabbage.
- Let the sliced onions and carrots hang out in some white balsamic vinegar.
- Gather your corn and blueberries.
- Whip up some tangy buttermilk dressing.
Get a BIG BOWL. And toss it all together!
The tangy, creamy dressing is flecked with parsley and chives. And the flavors of all the veggies combine beautifully. If you are frowning at the thought of blueberries in your coleslaw, STOP FROWNING! They are almost the highlight of this summer coleslaw, adding a slightly sweet and literal ‘pop’ of flavor in every bite. But the corn is another sweet, crunchy element that adds variety to this better than classic coleslaw.
I wanted to show you the variety on my plate. But you know, I’m thinking that adding some shredded rotisserie chicken to my leftovers will give me even more variety as well as make this coleslaw feel like more of a meal!
Please try this. It’s one of the best summer salads I’ve ever had. And if you bring it to your next cookout, potluck, picnic or BBQ, I guarantee that no one will be able to forget it!
Attitude is the difference between an ordeal and an adventure.
- ½ head of green cabbage, shredded
- ½ head of red cabbage, shredded
- 1½ cups of fresh corn (about 2 large ears)
- 1 cup of fresh blueberries
- 1 large carrot, julienned
- 4 radishes, grated (squeeze excess water out with paper towel)
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- ½ cup of chopped flat leaf parsley
- ¼ cup of chopped chives
- 1 cup of mayonnaise
- ¾ cup of buttermilk
- ½ cup of sour cream
- ¼ cup of white balsamic vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- Blanch the corn in boiling water for 2 minutes. Remove and let cool before cutting the kernels from each.
- Slice the cabbages into thin shreds and place in a large mixing bowl..
- Place the julienned carrots, shredded radishes and sliced onions in a medium bowl. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and toss.
- Whisk the mayonnaise, sour cream and buttermilk together. Add the salt, a few grinds of fresh pepper, parsley and chives and combine.
- Add the vinegar and onion mix to the shredded cabbage and toss.
- Add the blueberries and corn to the bowl and toss.
- Add the dressing to the bowl and toss completely.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and add additional parsley and chives to garnish if desired.
Keep it in the community. Support your farmers. Buy local!