How are you at multi-tasking?
Me? I can juggle a few things. But what really makes life easier is when I can make one recipe and use in a multitude of ways. This incredible burst tomato vinaigrette is that recipe! Sweet cherry and grape tomatoes are bathed in olive oil, white balsamic vinegar, shallots, garlic and herbs. They become so soft and juicy, that what doesn’t burst in the pan, will burst with flavor in your mouth. Serve it warm or serve it at room temperature. But you will have a delicious, fresh tomato dressing in just a matter of minutes.
Naturally, this is a great summertime vinaigrette when tomatoes are really at their best. But these little salad tomatoes are available all year round. And even if you have tomatoes that are looking a little wrinkled and tired, this is a perfect way to use them up.
So quick and easy to throw together. Gather your tomatoes. Soften some shallots and garlic in olive oil. Add the tomatoes. Let them pop. Add the vinegar and herbs. You’re done!
Serve this warm or at room temperature in a variety of ways.
- Top any salad with this cooled vinaigrette.
- Serve it warm with pasta.
- Use it in pasta salads.
- Serve it warm with chicken, fish or steak.
- Use it like bruschetta, to top toasted bread.
I guarantee that the more you make this, the more ways you will think of to use it!
Gardening is cheaper than therapy; and you get tomatoes!
- 2 pints of cherry or grape tomatoes (about 24 ounces)
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 6 Tablespoons of olive oil, divided
- 2 Tablespoons of white balsamic vinegar
- 2-3 Tablespoons of chopped fresh herbs ( I used basil and chives)
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Cut half of your cherry tomatoes in half.
- Heat 2 Tablespoons of olive oil in a medium saute pan over medium heat.
- Add the shallots and cook until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and saute for another minute.
- Add the halved and whole tomatoes and cook for about 5-6 minutes while stirring occasionally or until the tomatoes begin to burst and release their juices
- Mash a few of the tomatoes down with a fork.
- Add the remaining 4 Tablespoons of olive oil and the 2 Tablespoons of vinegar.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add herbs just before serving.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
If you ate today, thank a farmer!