Is there a fruit that you eat all year round?
For me, that’s blueberries. It’s tough in the winter. They don’t always look so plump, and they are more expensive! But I have to have them. I eat them regularly in my cereal and in my yogurt.
But the best way to eat them??? In flaky puffed pastry! This recipe could not be any easier to make. Vanilla beans are added to sweetened cream cheese and mixed with sweet tart blueberries. Wrap it all up in buttery layers of puffed pastry baked to golden perfection.
These are so delicious, warm, right out of the oven.
While these are not summer blueberries, they are starting to look pretty good at the market.
And amen for puffed pastry!
I love these for breakfast on a lazy weekend. And if blueberries aren’t your thing, raspberries or blackberries would be great, too!
Wake up with determination. Go to bed with satisfaction.
- 1 (17.3 ounce) package of frozen puffed pastry (it should contain 2 rolls of pastry)
- 6 ounces of cream cheese, softened
- seeds from ½ of a vanilla bean
- 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- 8 Tablespoons of granulated sugar 1 large egg yolk (&1 egg for an egg wash)
- 1 cup of fresh blueberries
- 1 teaspoon of potato starch (or cornstarch)
- 1 Tablespoon of Creme de Cassis
- pinch of kosher salt
- clear sparkling sugar for the top ( or you may omit this and sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar instead)
- Let the puff pastry thaw in your refrigerator overnight.
- Also make sure your cream cheese is softened. It will make the blending easier.
- Preheat your oven to 375°F.
- In a medium bowl, prepare your vanilla cream cheese.
- Blend the cream cheese, egg yolk, 4 Tablespoons of sugar, vanilla seeds and vanilla extract until it is smooth.
- In another bowl, combine the blueberries, remaining 4 Tablespoons of sugar, the teaspoon of cornstarch, the pinch of salt, and the Tablespoon of cassis. Stir this gently to combine and coat the blueberries.
- On a lightly floured surface, unfold the pastry sheets.
- You will see it is creased, cut right down this crease and you will have 3 rectangular sections. Cut each section into thirds. You will now have 9 squares.
- Repeat this with the other pastry sheet. You now have 9 tops and bottoms.
- Lay 9 squares onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Place a Tablespoon of cream cheese in the center of each.
- Then place about a Tablespoon of blueberries on top of the cream cheese.
- Dab a little egg wash along the edges of the bottom square.
- Place another pastry square on top and seal the edges well.
- Brush a little egg wash on the top and sprinkle with sparkling sugar.
- Bake for about 22-24 minutes.