Sometimes you don’t need to do much to a salad but enjoy the pure flavors of the fruits and veggies. And yet, sometimes the dressing is EVERYTHING!
This pretty summer salad is almost perfect on it’s own. I just love the combination of plump blueberries, fresh sweet corn, crisp cucumbers and tangy red onions together. But then they are bathed in a delicious vinaigrette of olive oil, white wine vinegar, honey, Dijon, garlic and lots and lots of fresh, fragrant thyme!
It’s amazing how such simple summer ingredients turn out a spectacular salad! All of these fruits and veggies play so well together.
But this salad dressing is so luscious, you’ll want to use it ‘thyme and again’! (Sorry, couldn’t resist!)
It’s this fresh summer corn that makes this salad almost sweet. The blueberries, oddly, are what bring a savory pop to this crunchy salad. But it’s really the flavors of the honey and thyme that bring these beautiful summer ingredients together so harmoniously.
You could serve this salad in a big old bowl and it will be just as delicious. But sometimes you can elevate a salad just by serving it in some unexpected way. And you should always treat yourself as the special person that you are!
I love this salad so much. It’s one of the easiest to throw together and so very flavorful. Perfect for an elegant brunch or your backyard cookout!
- 2 cups of fresh corn kernels (approx. 5 large ears of corn)
- 1½ cups of fresh blueberries
- 1 heaping cup of diced cucumbers
- ½ cup of diced red onions
- ¼ cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons of pinot grigio vinegar (or another white wine vinegar)
- 1 Tablespoon of honey
- 2 teaspoons of fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- salt & pepper to taste
- To take the bite out of the onions, place the diced onions in a small bowl of ice water while you prepare the rest of the salad.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil.
- Blanch the corn for about 4-5 minutes, then drain and let cool.
- When cool enough to handle, cut the kernels off the corn.
- (You could also use any leftover corn on the cob you may have).
- To prepare the dressing, whisk the vinegar, honey, dijon mustard and garlic together.
- Slowly add the oil, while whisking.
- Then add the thyme and whisk to combine.
- Season with salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste.
- Drain the onions and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Place the blueberries, corn kernels, cucumbers, and onions in a large bowl.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad and toss to combine.
- Chill until ready to serve.
Support local farming!