Are you ready to switch things up?
You won’t regret it. Sometimes you just have to try something new. I love traditional Mexican tacos. And I love making fish tacos with some crunchy slaw. Today, I’m going all veggie on you. But trust me when I tell you these beet and goat cheese tacos are something special.
You can vary these vegetable tacos in a million ways. Here I’ve used slices of steamed baby beets, grated sweet carrots, sharp and crunchy radish circles, my very addictive pretty pickled onions, tangy goat cheese and sprigs of thyme all topped with an orange and lime crème fraiche sauce and nestled inside some savory corn tortillas.
Amazing flavor in every bite!
Heat and lightly brown your corn tortillas.
Mix up your crème fraiche with orange and lime juice and zest and a touch of salt.
Get your veggies together. And then lay it all out, fold it all up, and chow it all down.
Top it with lots of crema or just a dab. Include what you like, omit what you don’t. Add protein, greens or fruit. It’s all up to you.
“Your body hears everything your mind says.” Naomi Judd
- 6-8 yellow corn tortillas
- 4-6 baby beets, steamed and sliced
- 4 radishes, thinly sliced
- 4 carrots finely grated
- pickled onions
- 4 ounces of goat cheese, crumbled
- a few sprigs of thyme
- ½ cup of crème fraiche
- 2 teaspoons of fresh squeezed orange juice
- 2 teaspoons of fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1 teaspoon of fresh orange zest
- 1 teaspoon of fresh lime zest
- pinch of salt
- Place the beets in a microwave safe dish and add about 4 Tablespoons of water.
- Cover and microwave on high for 10-15 minutes or until the beets are tender when pierced with a fork.
- Allow the beets to cool, peel the skins and slice the beets.
- Lightly spray a small non stick frying pan with cooking spray.
- Heat on high.
- Place the tortillas one at a time in the pan.
- Heat till lightly browned about 30-60 seconds per side.
- Mix the crème fraiche, orange and lime juices and zest with a pinch of salt.
- Top each tortilla with a few slices of beets, radishes, grated carrot, pickled onions, a few thyme leaves. (And any other veggies or greens you choose to use.)
- Sprinkle with as much crumbled goat cheese as you desire.
- Top with the orange lime crema and serve.
If you ate today, thank a farmer!