Is it chilly enough for you?
The temperatures have definitely dropped here outside of the nation’s capital. I find myself trading in my Coke Zero’s for warm beverages. This is one of my favorite hot drinks to make. Of course, spiking my affogato with a little amaretto definitely adds to the warmth. And I especially love to serve this as an easy, casual after dinner dessert. Creamy home made honey almond gelato is “drowned” in strong, hot coffee and a splash of liqueur; and then sprinkled with some crumbled amaretti cookies.
Affogato, meaning drowned in Italian, is a perfect description of this delicious dessert drink. The gelato is “drowned” in hot coffee. You sip some, you scoop some and if you serve some cookies along side, you dip some!
I think it’s easy to make home made ice cream. This honey gelato is sweet and creamy with a little hint of almond. Here it’s like soft serve right out of the ice cream maker. But give it a good freeze for this coffee. You don’t want it to “drown” too quickly.
And it’s so good when you crumble cookies on the top.
This warm coffee drink is so versatile. Vary this in any way you’d like! Use any flavor of ice cream or gelato that you prefer. Add Kahlua or Bailey’s or Frangelico instead of amaretto. Top it with crushed cookies, nuts, chocolate covered espresso beans or whipped cream sprinkled with cocoa! You get the idea! So make this when you need a special dessert, or if you just want to warm up on a blustery day!
“We can’t help everyone, but everyone can help someone.” Ronald Reagan
- For the Gelato:
- 2 cups of milk
- 2 cups of cream
- 1½ cups of sugar
- 2 Tablespoons of orange blossom honey
- ½ teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon of almond extract
- pinch of salt
- strong coffee or espresso: 2 ounces per affogato
- amaretti or other cookies to crumble on top if desired
- Heat the milk and cream until it is warm.
- Add the sugar and honey and continue to heat until the sugars are dissolved.
- Remove from the heat and add the vanilla and almond extracts and salt.
- Strain into a container, cover and refrigerate until cool.
- Then follow your manufacturer's instructions on your ice cream machine.
- Freeze until firm.
- Place a scoop of gelato in a coffee cup or glass.
- Pour a shot of amaretto over the gelato. Pour 2 shots of warm espresso over the gelato. Sprinkle with crushed amaretti cookies and enjoy!