Have you ever read a list of ingredients and wonder how in the world they will all come together?
Well the ingredients are harmonious in this wonderfully unique salad. The juicy honeydew melon becomes an almost savory element. The fennel adds a refreshing crunch. And the olives lend a salty bite. Tossed with a bright orange vinaigrette. And the combination of all of them together in one mouthful is just amazing!
Honeydew is not an overly sweet melon, to me. But in this refreshing spring salad, the sweetness of the honeydew becomes very subtle.
While the honeydew melon is clearly the main ingredient, what really makes this salad special are the Castelvetrano olives.
BEST. OLIVES. EVER!
These are the only olives I’ve ever tasted that actually taste like olive oil! And yes, no coloring added. They are actually this vibrant green!
I love when you can look at your salad and really identify all of the ingredients that will soon be exploding in your mouth.
Sweet. Light. Peppery. Orange. Crunchy. Tangy. Smooth. Lemon. Salty. Silky. Refreshing. Aromatic.
This salad has it all.
This really is a special and unique salad. Pretty and refreshing. And one of my favorites. And I hope you will give it a try, too!
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
- 1½ lb. honeydew melon, peeled, seeds removed, and shaved thinly on a mandoline
- 1 small fennel bulb, shaved on a mandoline
- ¼ cup of Castelvetrano olives, pitted & coarsely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 teaspoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons of fresh orange zest
- 1 teaspoon of fresh lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons of coarsely chopped fennel fronds
- 2 Tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- Kosher salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Whisk the orange juice, lemon juice, lemon zest and 1 teaspoon of orange zest along with the 2 Tablespoons of olive oil in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the melon, fennel and olives to the vinaigrette and toss to coat.
- Top the salad with the remaining orange zest and fennel fronds.
- Drizzle with a little more olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.